What is Maroon Moves?
Are you looking for a way to start moving more? Do you need a little friendly competition to get you motivated? Get ready for Maroon Moves! Maroon Moves is a walking challenge for all benefit-eligible Missouri State University employees.
- **REGISTRATION DEADLINE EXTENDED TO APRIL 8TH!**
- Maroon Moves begins April 1st and ends April 30th.
- Get a group of 4-8 colleagues together, come up with a creative team name, and compete against other teams at the university!
- If you can't find a team, you can be assigned to one! Contact us to be placed on a team.
Why a Walking Challenge?
- Walking is a great way to meet the American Heart Association's recommendations for physical activity for adults. It is recommended that all adults get at least 150 minutes per week of moderate-intensity aerobic activity or 75 minutes per week of vigorous aerobic activity, or a combination of both, preferably spread throughout the week.
- The goal of the Maroon Moves Walking Challenge is to increase the physical activity levels of Missouri State University employees during the work day.
How Does Maroon Moves Work?
The walking challenge will be managed through a very simple digital platform called Challenge Runner. Challenge Runner syncs with your personal fitness tracker and automatically records the data to a leader board on Challenge Runner's website and mobile app. To participate in Maroon Moves, you must create a Challenge Runner account.
- Challenge Runner pairs with most major personal fitness trackers like: Fitbit, Garmin, Google Fit, Apple Health, Samsung Health, Misfit, Nokia (Withings), Omron, and Polar.
- Manual input of steps is also available. A personal fitness tracker is not required to participate in Maroon Moves.
- Pedometers are available by request
- To request a pedometer, complete the "Pedometer Request Form" available below in the Resource Library, then email the completed form to the Employee Wellness Coordinator, Ben Hunt at email@example.com
Check out the Resource Library below for more instructions on how to navigate the Challenge Runner website, authorize your fitness tracker, request a pedometer, and create a team.
Maroon Moves will use team step averages to determine winners.
1. The top overall team (highest step average) at the end of the challenge will win $50 gift cards to the bookstore and water bottles!
2. The top 10 individuals with the most steps outside of the winning team will win a $25 gift card to the book store.
NEW - This Spring!
"Remember to celebrate the milestones as you prepare for the road ahead."
Individuals will earn prize raffle entries by reaching specific distance milestones throughout the challenge. The more milestones you reach, the more chances you have to win. Individual participants will earn 1 raffle ticket for each milestone reached. The following milestones are set for the Maroon Moves – Spring 2020 Challenge:
- 10 miles – Strong Start!
- 50 miles – You Got This!
- 100 miles – #100 Nice Job!
- 150 miles –150 Miles Up!
- 200 miles – Solid Work!
- 250 miles – Great Strides!
- 300 miles – You did it!
Each participant will earn one raffle ticket for each milestone reached!
The Employee Wellness Team will track individual steps and milestones received by participants. At the end of the challenge, all raffle tickets will be put into a bucket and drawn for 13 different winners. Raffle Prizes include:
- Fitbit Inspire Fitness Tracker for the first 3 raffle winners.
- MSU Employee Wellness water bottle for the following 10 raffle winners.
Remember, for each milestone you reach, you will be adding another chance to win a prize at the end of the challenge. Get Ready, Get Set, WALK!
How to Join
Registration is free and open now! **REGISTRATION DEADLINE EXTENDED TO APRIL 8TH!**
- Click the following link: http://msuwellness.challengerunner.com
- Look for "Available Challenges", check the box next to "Maroon Moves - Spring 2020", then click "Enroll"
- Create a new Challenge Runner account or to log in to your existing Challenge Runner account to join the Challenge!
Note: You may register on Challenge Runner, but the platform will not start recording steps until the challenge begins on April 1st.
For other questions see the resource library below!