What is a Walking Challenge - Fall 2023?
Are you looking for a way to start moving more? Do you need a little friendly competition to get you motivated? Get ready for the Walking Challenge! The movement challenge is for all benefit-eligible Missouri State University employees and dependents over the age of 18.
- Get a group of 4-8 colleagues together, come up with a creative team name, and compete against other teams at the university!
- If you feel more comfortable you can compete as an individual.
- Only activities that involve steps can be counted in the Walking Challenge.
Why a Walking Challenge?
- Walking is a great way to meet the American Heart Association's recommendations for physical activity for adults. It is recommended that all adults get at least 150 minutes per week of moderate-intensity aerobic activity or 75 minutes per week of vigorous aerobic activity, or a combination of both, preferably spread throughout the week.
- The goal of the Challenge is to increase the physical activity levels of Missouri State University employees.
How Does a Walking Challenge Work?
The challenge will be managed through a very simple digital platform called Challenge Runner. Challenge Runner syncs with your personal fitness tracker and automatically records the data to a leader board on Challenge Runner's website and mobile app. To participate in Maroon Moves, you must create a Challenge Runner account.
- Challenge Runner pairs with most major personal fitness trackers like: Fitbit, Garmin,
Google Fit, Apple Health, Samsung Health, Misfit, Nokia (Withings), Omron, and Polar.
- Manual input of steps is also available. A personal fitness tracker is not required to participate in Maroon Moves
- Although it easier to link a personal fitness tracker it is not needed. Participants can use a Map app to track miles (Walk/Run/Hike). Please use the steps per mile depending on your height.
Check out the Resource Library below for more instructions on how to navigate the Challenge Runner website, authorize your fitness tracker, create a team and step conversion chart.
The challenge will use team/individual step averages to determine winners.
NEW - If winning team, individual, or drawing participant are from West Plains Campus the gift card will be for Drago College Store.
- The top overall team (highest step average) at the end of the challenge each team member will win $25 gift cards to the bookstore!
- First through fifth individuals with the most steps outside of the winning team will win a $25 gift card to the book store.
- For every 100,000 steps you will get one entry into a drawing for a $25 bookstore gift card (10 total).
- A participant can only be awarded one gift card.
How to Join
Registration is free and open now!
- Click the following link: http://msuwellness.challengerunner.com
- Look for "Available Challenges", check the box next to "Maroon Moves - Fall 2023 - Walking Challenge", then click "Enroll"
- Create a new Challenge Runner account or to log in to your existing Challenge Runner account to join the Challenge!
Challenge code: af44ro-4a4o
Note: You may register on Challenge Runner, but the platform will not start recording steps until the challenge begins.
- The Walking Challenge Starts Monday, October 2 and ends Tuesday, October 31, 2023. Manual entry ends Wednesday, November 1, 2023.
- You can count any steps from activities where you are on your feet (Walking, running, jazzercise, aerobics, etc.) No conversions activities: example = Swimming/Biking
- It's never too late to challenge your friends to the movement challenge; they are still able to register and participate anytime! For every 100,000 steps you will be entered in a $25 bookstore gift card.
- To participate and be eligible for any prizes, participants must complete the digital Wellness Program Waiver. Please look in the resources for the digital form. Only one waiver needs to be filled out for all Employee Wellness Programs.
For other questions see the resource library below!
Contact - EmployeeWellness@MissouriState.edu