Admitted Student Checklist – Transfer Students

If you have fewer than 24 transferable hours earned after high school you are required to pay the $150 enrollment deposit and attend a Student Orientation, Advisement and Registration (SOAR) session.

  1. Activate your BearPass account

    ​​​​​​​Visit and use your BearPass Number and activation code, provided in your admission letter, to create a BearPass ID and password. Your BearPass ID and password are used to access your information portal for many functions, services, and resources at Missouri State, including registration. Your University email account will be used by the university for official communication. Students with MSU dual credit have established a BearPass ID, password and email account. Contact the Help Desk to reset your password if needed.

  2. Complete transfer student orientation

    ​​​​​​​After establishing your My Missouri State account, complete the approximately 45 minute online orientation, which will be available the semester before you enroll. This is required in order to register for classes.

    Access the transfer orientation:

    Visit My Missouri State.

    Select the Student tab

    View the My Transfer Info channel (Channels are the sections within a particular tab)

    Select Transfer Orientation

    If you have questions or experience problems please contact Admissions at

  3. Review your transfer credit evaluation​​​​​​​

    It is important that you understand your transfer credit evaluation.

    Access your transfer credit evaluation:

    Visit My Missouri State.

    Select the Student tab

    View the My Transfer Info channel (Channels are the sections within a particular tab)

    Select Transfer Credit Evaluation

    Visit the Transfer Credit Evaluation page to better understand your evaluation and review the course code explanations.

    If you feel that elective credit was awarded for a course that should be an equivalent course at MSU you may request a re-evaluation. Speak with your advisor and visit the Transfer Credit Evaluation page for information on the process.

  4. Meet with your advisor

    Before you register you are required to meet with an academic advisor in person, via phone, or through Zoom. Visit the Transfer website to see the list of Advisors for Transfer Students and contact the academic advisor of your major to discuss appointment options. You will not be able to register until you have received an advisor release.

    If you need the physical address to a campus building, please view our list of campus addresses. Visit the Parking on Campus website for parking options.

    Adult Student Services

    The Office of Adult Student Services (417-836-6929 or 877-678-2005) provides advising assistance and information about special orientation and registration options for students who:

    Have been out of school an extended period of time

    Married or have children

    Plan to attend part-time

    Plan to complete their degree 100% online

    Have other special questions or needs experienced by adult students returning to school

  5. Register for classes​​​​​​​

    View when you will be able to register for classes and other helpful tools and information (such as a registration demo video) at the Registration website.

    To register online:

    Visit My Missouri State.

    Select the Registration tab

    View the My Registration channel

    Click the Add or Drop Classes link

    Enrollment agreement must be signed before registering for classes

    Additional assistance with the registration process is available through the Office of the Registrar, located in Carrington Hall 320 or call 417-836-5520.

    Math placement

    If you have not taken Math 103 or higher, then you may need to take a placement exam. For more information, visit the Math Placement at Missouri State University web page.

    Final transcripts

    If you were admitted prior to completing all coursework at another college or university, please request a final, official transcript be sent to the Missouri State Office of Admissions. If you have completed an Associate of Arts degree (AA or AAT) or 42-hour certified block, you have fulfilled MSU's general education requirements.

  6. Apply for financial aid​​​​​​​

    Missouri State offers transfer financial aid grants, loans, and scholarships.

    Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by February 1 or ASAP thereafter (Missouri State University FAFSA code: 002503)

    Transfer scholarships have an October 1 or March 1 deadline. For more information, contact the MSU Office of Financial Aid at 417-836-5262 or 800-283-4243; Carrington Hall 118.

  7. Visit campus​​​​​​​

    Visiting campus and taking a tour can be very helpful in your transition and many of the items on this list can be done while on campus. To schedule a tour, visit the Visit Campus website or call Admissions at 417-836-6614. If you come to campus to complete one or more of the above items, visit the Parking on Campus website for parking options. We do, however, recommend you purchase a $2.50 visitor parking permit at the Transit Operations Center at 700 East Elm.

    Obtain BearPass card

    Pick up your BearPass Card (Missouri State student ID) in Plaster Student Union Room 128. You will need a government-issued photo ID (such as a driver’s license or state ID) to obtain your BearPass Card at no charge. Please verify that your name in the admission letter we sent you is the same as your government-issued ID. If it is different, you need to change your name on our record to match your government-issued ID by contacting the Office of the Registrar at 417-836-5520.

    Purchase parking permit

    You may purchase a Missouri State parking permit through your account or online through the Parking Administration Office (hours of operation are 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, 417-836-4825).

    Purchase parking permit:

    Visit My Missouri State.

    Select the Campus Life tab

    View the Parking channel

    Click the My Parking > Permit Registration link (a temporary parking permit may be printed upon completion)

  8. Review housing and dining information​​​​​​​

    On-Campus: View the Residence Life, Housing and Dining Services website for housing options. Single students under 21 with fewer than 27 hours of transferable credit (earned after high school graduation) are required to live in university housing and must complete an application for university housing. For more information, contact Residence Life, Housing and Dining Services at 417-836-5536 or 800-284-7535, or visit their office in Hammons House 104.

    On-Campus meal plan: To purchase an on-campus meal plan, visit and click the "Commuter Students" link under the "Meal Plans" menu item to review options. Contact Dining Services at 417-836-3057, or visit their office in Blair-Shannon 114 if interested in the "Bear Pack Plan."

  9. Purchase your books

    You may purchase books online or at the University Bookstore. The Bookstore is open year round for the purchase of textbooks, course materials, BearWear and much more. For additional information and hours, please visit the University Bookstore website or call 417-836-5403. Books may be charged to your student account.

  10. Get involved at Missouri State​​​​​​​

    Involved students are more likely to graduate, feel more connected to the university, and are more familiar with university resources. The Office of Student Engagement provides many ways to get involved at Missouri State.

    View our 375+ student organizations:

    Visit My Missouri State.

    Select the Home tab

    View the Quick Links channel

    Click the Campus Link link


    If you are a veteran or the dependent of a veteran planning to utilize your education benefits, please contact the Veteran Student Center.


Contact Admissions

Bart Tibbs
Assistant Director of Admissions – Transfer Outreach and Recruitment
417-836-7620 or toll-free 800-492-7900