Full-time regular employees are eligible to enroll at Missouri State for a total of 15 credit hours of college-level courses in an academic year (12-month period beginning with the fall semester) and have their required student fees paid by the university.
Credit Course Fee Waiver
How to use the benefit
- Credit course fee waiver requests are now automated and can be accessed by employees through the Profile tab at My Missouri State under Employment Details - Benefits.
- As an additional convenience, employees may also check the number of their credit course fee waiver hours used from the Profile tab as well.
- To ensure that the fee waiver has been applied, employees should not register or pay fees until they have checked the status of the approval of the request online on My Information. Cash refunds will not be made to the employee.
Employees must be employed by the university prior to the start of the semester for which they have enrolled.
Employees who have used their 15 credit hour benefit during an academic year and enroll in additional courses during the same academic year, must pay the required student fees for those additional courses.
The individual receiving the fee waiver must file an application for admission or readmission with the Office of Admissions and Records and must meet all admission academic requirements stipulated in the Missouri State Undergraduate Catalog or the Missouri State Graduate Catalog.
- Employees may assign part or all of the 15-hour benefit to their spouse and/or their eligible dependent children. Such children must be a dependent of the employee and must not have attained the age of 24 years at the start of the semester in which the credit hour fee waiver is applied. The spouse and/or eligible dependent children must have been admitted to Missouri State or must qualify for the high school senior early admission program.
- Employees may assign the equivalent value of 7.5 undergraduate credit hours of the 15-hour benefit to their eligible dependent children that attend Greenwood Laboratory School toward payment of required student fees.
- Per course faculty who teach at Missouri State University’s West Plains Campus are
eligible to enroll in a total of 15 credit hours of college-level courses in an academic
year (12-month period beginning with the fall semester) and have their required student
fees paid by the University. Per course faculty may assign part or all of the 15-hour
benefit to their spouse and/or their eligible dependent children. The following restrictions
- The fee waiver is limited to associates degree credit courses offered on the West Plains Campus only;
- Excludes courses for the Missouri Sheriffs’ Association Training Academy; and
- Enrollment or assignment of the benefit applies only in the semester(s) in which the per course faculty is actively teaching.
Rules and limitations
- Courses taken by employees:
- must be taken outside assigned scheduled working hours, or
- an equivalent adjustment must be made in the employee's work schedule to make up the time away from work, or
- an equivalent adjustment must be made by requesting leave of absence without pay, or
- the time away from work must be requested as vacation leave.
- Employees are expected to work 40 hours weekly. Work schedule adjustments may be made within the department. However, the adjustment must be approved by the department head or supervisor in advance and should not be considered if it interferes with the normal operations of the department.
- If employment is terminated and the last day is prior to the start of the semester in which the University has paid the required student fees, the University will cancel the payment of those fees.
- This benefit is not applicable to book costs or any special fee pertaining to a specific class or private instruction.
The tuition fee waiver benefit is only taxable to the employee if the fee waiver is used by the employee's spouse or dependent child to enroll in graduate courses at Missouri State. The tuition fee waiver benefit is not taxable to the employee if the fee waiver is used by the employee to enroll in either undergraduate or graduate courses at Missouri State, or if the fee waiver is used by the employee's spouse or dependent child to enroll in undergraduate courses at Missouri State.