Appraisal and Development Plan
Reminder for 2021 Annual ADP Cycle
Supervisors should ensure they have completed their 2021 Planning Documents for their
employees in preparation for the next Annual ADP Cycle.
The 2021 Annual Cycle starts October 1, 2021 with completion by January 31, 2022. Both supervisors and employees can access their documents online through the My
Missouri State portal. Please contact HRPerformance@Missouristate.edu if you have questions. See Help Guide for information on the Supervisor ADP Dashboard and the ADP Process.
The Appraisal and Development Plan (ADP) Process is the University's formal evaluation
process for all full-time staff employees. The ADP process is designed to support
the university's performance-based compensation system and the development of employees
within the organization.
Key Features for the Online ADP Process
- Supervisor ADP Dashboard is a one stop location for supervisors to access and view
their ADP Planning and Appraisal documents for their employees. The Supervisor ADP
Dashboard is located in the Performance Management Channel under the Work Resources
- Both the Annual and Probationary cycles (three (3) and six (6) month) will have the
same features. Annual ADP documents due dates will be based on the Annual Cycle requirements
and the Probationary ADP documents due dates with be based on the employee's hire
- Supervisors generate their Planning Document by clicking on the "Create document"
in their Supervisor Dashboard under the Current tab. Appraisal Documents are generated
by clicking on the "Begin Appraisal" button.
- Supervisors have access to their current Appraisal documents and the subsequent Planning
Documents so they are able to conduct both meetings concurrently.
- Supervisors have a copy feature to copy ongoing goals from one year to the next in their
- Supervisors can update their Planning documents throughout the rating period to reflect
changes in supervision, in job positions, responsibilities, or goals. Employees will
be notified of changes via email and are able to view the changes online in the Performance
- The chain of supervision has visibility on their units' ADP documents to monitor completion
status, view ADP data, and to access documents.
- Employees have a one stop location to access and view their ADP Planning and Appraisal
documents through the My ADP Documents link in the Performance Management Channel
located under the Work Resources tab. Both current and archived documents are available
to the employee.
- Employees are notified via email when updates are made to their Planning documents
and their Appraisal documents are available for acknowledgement. They are accessed
online through the My ADP Documents link.
Appraisal and Development Plan (ADP) Process
The annual performance rating cycle for all full-time staff occurs between October
1st and January 31st of each year. New employees receive two evaluations during their
Probationary period, at the third and sixth months of employment. Probationary evaluations
assess the new employee's progress in learning the job. The process consists of both
a planning meeting and appraisal meeting for each evaluation period.
The University believes that a fair performance evaluation system is one of the keys
to a successful performance-based compensation system. Performance planning and appraisal
meetings serve to plan for the tasks, duties and goals to be accomplished throughout
the upcoming year, and evaluate employee performance during the previous year. During
these meetings, supervisors give useful feedback to employees to promote productivity,
communication and professional development. Employees are evaluated using a rating
scale comprised of five levels of performance. It is the cost center administrator’s
responsibility to ensure performance evaluations are completed accurately and in a
timely manner for their unit.
The University's ADP process is designed to support the growth and development of
employees and to recognize their overall performance:
- Evaluate each employee's effectiveness in performing assigned duties and responsibilities.
- Establish performance standards as they relate to the current job description and
in support of the University’s goals and mission.
- Assist employees in developing additional knowledge, skills and abilities for job
- Document shortcomings or substandard performance and outline methods to improve future
- Determine retention of an employee at the end of the probationary period.
Performance Improvement Plans
Supervisors needing to address performance issues with an employee should contact
Human Resources at HRPerformance@MissouriState.edu for assistance and guidance on the process. The Performance Improvement Plan Process
(PIP) is covered in Chapter 5.2.4 of the Employee Handbook.
Resources for the ADP Process
- Online Zoom classes provided by Human Resources. Register online through My Learning
Connection, search under ADP.
- Missouri State employee handbook for administrative, professional and support staff
employees, Chapter 5. Employee Performance Evaluations.
- ADP Process Help Guide.
- Supervisor training provided by the University. Register online through My Learning
Connection, search under Supervision and Leadership categories.
Organizational Chart and ADP Workflow
The University's Organizational Chart determines the workflow process for both the
annual and probationary ADP process. Changes in supervision will be tracked to update
the workflow process for email notifications and assignment of ADP Planning and Appraisal
“Reports To” information for new hire, transfer, or promotion PAFs will be updated
by Human Resources as part of the Personnel Action Form (PAF) process.
Changes to subordinates will be made by supervisors through the online Organizational
Profile link located in My Missouri State on the Profile tab in the Employment Detail
Contact HRRecords@MissouriState.edu for assistance or questions with this process.
Questions and Assistance on ADP Process
Contact HRPerformance@MissouriState.edu or call 417-836-4592.