Form I-9 is used to verify employment authorization of individuals hired for employment in the United States. All new employees must complete a Form I-9 by the first day of employment. More information on Form I-9 can be found here.
I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification
- Employee must complete all of Section 1 of the Form I-9.
- Employee must then choose one document from List A or one document from List B and one document from List C. Missouri State University participates in E-Verify. The List B document must include a photograph. Please see page 2 of the Form I-9 for the list of acceptable documents.
- The information from the Form I-9 must be entered in E-verify by the department’s E-verify General User. The I-9 and the original documents that establish identity and eligibility to work, and the E-verify confirmation must be brought to student employment (for student employees), international programs (for international hires), or the office of human resources within three days of beginning employment.
- The official Form I-9 instructions provides this information in detail as well as when to use the Supplement A, Preparer and/or Translator certification, for section 1.
Instructions for out-of-state or out-of-town employees
If the employee will not be visiting Missouri State University prior to their start date, they may still complete a Form I-9 using an authorized representative or using live video interaction.
1. Authorized Representative
The out-of-state or out-of-town employee should follow the first two points of instruction instructions above. After the form is completed and documents are chosen, the employee must bring the original documents and the I-9 form to an authorized representative. An authorized representative can be any person the employee designates to complete and sign the Form I-9 on the University hiring department’s behalf. Missouri State University is part of the I-9 Reciprocal Processing Consortium through the College and University Professional Association for Human Resources (CUPA-HR), and human resources can assist with locating a reciprocal institution by zip code. The authorized representative will act as the University’s authorized representative in examining the documents, witnessing the employee’s signature, as well as completing and signing Section 2 of the I-9 form.
2. Live Video Interaction
The new employee must first transmit a copy of the documents to the employer. The employer will examine the copies to ensure that the documentation is unexpired, genuine, and meets the document requirements for the I-9. The employer will conduct a live video interaction with the new employee, and the new employee will present the same documents during the live video interaction. On the Form I-9, the employer will check the box (at the bottom of the Additional Information section) that says "Check here if you used an alternative procedure authorized by DHS to examine documents."
Please contact the office of human resources at 417-836-5102 or HREmployment@missouristate.edu with any questions.