VA Education Benefit Recipient Responsibilities

This list has been created to assist MSU students while they use VA educational benefits. Please review each point carefully; if you have any questions, the Veteran Student Center is available to assist you.

  • In order to receive benefits, students need to complete an online Veterans Certification Request Form every semester to continue receiving veterans' education benefits.
  • In order to comply with laws governing education benefits, it is the student's responsibility to notify the Missouri State University Veteran Student Center of your status at the University which includes: adding or dropping a course, changing your major, changing your address, withdrawal from the University, loss or exhaustion of benefits, and/or needing tutorial assistance. You may notify us of any change in your status by completing a Veterans Change of Status form. This also helps to ensure students avoid any unnecessary debt from the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) or the university.
  • Students must attend class and make satisfactory academic progress. If you do not make satisfactory academic progress and are suspended from the University, your education benefits cannot be resumed until you have met the University requirements for reinstatement.
  • The VA will not pay for the repeat of satisfactorily completed courses (See a Certifying Official if a repeat class is required for graduation or class progression).
  • Students receiving Ch. 30, Ch. 1606 or Ch. 1607 benefits must report school attendance to the VA at the end of each month in order to receive payment. You may report your enrollment online at or by phone 1-877-823-2378.
  • It is possible that benefits may be terminated if a students does not comply with the regulations stated above.

Please note this list is meant to be a helpful reminder, and is not necessarily all inclusive; students are encouraged to monitor their benefit status by contacting the VA at 1-888-GiBill-1. After reviewing the above-mentioned list, if you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact the Veteran Student Center at and/or 1-417-836-6199.