Professional Development Opportunities
Magna Professional Development Opportunities
Are You Interested in Participating in an Online Seminar Directly from Your Office?
MSU has an institutional license to the following on-demand resources.
- The Teaching Professor– access great articles and practical, evidence-based insights on strategies for creating a better learning environment. This online newsletter has been a trusted guide for educators for more than 30 years. Editor Dr. Maryellen Weimer has over 25 years of experience in college teaching. She has authored a number of books and is a highly-regarded proponent of effective teaching practices.
- Magna Commons– a content library of on-demand versions of many of Magna’s most popular Magna Online Seminars, covering a broad range of topics of interest to faculty and administrators.
- 20-Minute Mentor– a content library of on-demand versions of Magna’s popular 20-Minute Mentor programs, covering a broad range of faculty development topics.(See below).
Access these resources by activating your Magna subscription through the Academic Community located in Blackboard. Select the Academic Community from the Community tab in Blackboard, and from the Academic Community’s main menu, select Magna Subscriptions located under Professional Learning. Follow the instructions provided to activate your subscription.
MSU has a license to the Magna Commons library which provides on-demand professional development on a variety of topics. These programs are available at no cost to you and include a variety of topics like online teaching, active learning, grading and feedback, classroom inclusion, and others.
You can activate your account by going to the Magna Subscription link in the Blackboard Academic Community. If you have questions about how to activate your account, contact the FCTL@MissouriState.edu
Below are descriptions to programs that you can easily watch in an hour. Schedule lunch with Magna and discover some new practical ideas that you can easily incorporate into your classroom.
Monday Morning Mentor
A new 20-Minute Mentor will be available on Monday mornings. Through your Magna subscription, the program will be available for on-demand viewing for one full week.
The next few sessions that will be available soon:
- November 8, 2021 - How Can I Manage the Disconnect Between Faculty and Student Perceptions of Rigor to Increase Learning?
- November 15, 2021 - How Can I Help Students Who Are Struggling with Online Learning?
- November 22, 2021 - How Can I Grade In Less Time with Greater Impact?
- November 29, 2021 - What are the Differences Between Synchronous and Asynchronous Teaching, and How Do I Best Choose the Format for My Online Class?
- December 6, 2021 - What Can I Do to Manage and Reduce Academic Job Stress?
Go to the Academic Community to activate your subscription and view the complete schedule. Passwords will be provided weekly.
Self-Care Resources for Faculty
This Faculty Resource webpage is a collection of self-care resources and advice on teaching during times of uncertainty.