Apply for Residency

Verifying Missouri residency

Out-of-state or non-resident students are considered temporary residents of the state of Missouri while attending MSU for college. In some cases, students may apply for reclassification to a resident student during their time at the University.

Examples of situations where students initially come to Missouri as non-residents but qualify for reclassification to resident status for fee purposes include:

  • Parents move to Missouri while attending MSU
  • Marriage to a Missouri resident
  • Discontinuing of education for a year or more while living and working in Missouri

Residency application

To apply for residency, you must submit the residency reclassification application AND required documentation before the end of the first week of classes of the semester for which you are applying for residence. Be sure to read the Residency Policy (provided below) before beginning the application process.

Learn more about residency reclassification

Residency policy

G5.04 Determination of Residency for Tuition and Fee Purposes

In determining a student’s residency for tuition and fee purposes, the University adheres to the policy for determination of student residency established and approved by the Missouri Coordinating Board for Higher Education (CBHE). The University also complies with all applicable federal and state laws and regulations with respect to the classification of veterans and their dependents.

The initial determination of a student’s residency is made by the office responsible for the student’s admission to the University (Office of Admissions for degree-seeking undergraduate students, Graduate College for graduate students, and Academic Outreach for students in nondegree classifications). Students classified as non-residents who wish to apply for reclassification to resident status may do so by submitting a residency application to the Office of the Registrar. Students who are not satisfied with the decision of that office may appeal to the Committee on Residency. Decisions of that committee will be final.

Owning Missouri property

Simply owning property in Missouri does not qualify you as a Missouri resident for fee purposes.

Current military, veterans, and dependents

You may qualify for an out of state tuition waiver. This waiver is not guaranteed and is based on a number of factors outlined in the MSU policy library. View the Veteran Student Center's Tuition, Cost and Fees web page for more information.

Spouse works in Missouri

If your spouse is taking a job in Missouri and you plan to attend school, you must provide the following to qualify for residency:

  • Letter from your spouse’s employer showing date of employment, that s/he is currently employed there and that s/he is employed there full-time
  • Marriage certificate
  • Optional items: Missouri driver’s license, proof of vehicle tags in Missouri and voter registration card

Divorced parents

You may be able to qualify for residency if one of your parents lives in Missouri. We would need proof of that parent’s financial support and residency in Missouri.