Dr. Melissa S. Burnett
Dr. Melissa Burnett is professor of marketing. Her research interests include: brand strategy, new product development, sustainability and environmental marketing, children in advertising and ethics in advertising.
Burnett is a master at developing community partnerships, applied research, marketing and branding. But her investment in active mentorship, teaching beyond the textbook and putting her students first has been the cornerstone for many successes.
She oversees Missouri State’s interdisciplinary Ad Team and under her leadership, the Ad Team has won first place in several national and international competitions, resulting in grant awards, high profile contracts, student job offers and outstanding experiential learning.
- Ph.D. in Marketing, Promotion and Quantitative Analysis, 1988, Oklahoma State University
- Creative Advertising
- Advanced Advertising
- Advertising Campaigns
- Marketing Strategy
- Environmental Marketing and Interactive Media
Research and professional interests
- Brand strategy
- Ethics in advertising
- Biking and motorcycling
Awards and honors
- Board of Governors’ Public Affairs Professorship, Missouri State University, 2016-2017
- Dean’s STAR Professorship, College of Business, Missouri State University, 2014-present
- Selected to serve and recognized for expertise in the area of countering violent extremism via social media, U.S. State Department and Department of Justice National Security, 2016
- Selected to redesign the FBI and CIA's National Security Internship website, 2009
- 1st Place, Edventure Partners Branding the United States Intelligence National Student Advertising Competition, 2009
- Outstanding Research Paper Award, Academy of Marketing Studies National Conference, 2008
- Dean's Distinguished Professor, Missouri State University, 2008
- Outstanding Faculty Member Award, American Advertising Federation
- Top 10, American Advertising Federation National Student Advertising Competition, five of last 10 years (as advisor)
- 5th in nation, American Advertising Federation Competition
- 1st Place, Citibank Visa National Student Advertising Competition
Area of expertiseBusiness Ethics Media and film
How MSU's Ad Team Creates Winning Dynasty at National Competitions
Advertising expert Dr. Melissa Burnett shares the reason behind the Ad Team's success.
Young Achievers: MSU Ad Team Wins National Advertising Competition
Advertising expert Dr. Melissa Burnett leads MSU's Ad Team to another win.
Students, Madison Avenue Enlisted in Messaging Fight Against ISIS
Advertising expert Dr. Melissa Burnett gathers students with marketing, business, PR, design and art backgrounds to participate in a program called Peer 2 Peer: Challenging Extremism.