Military Spouse and Dependents - Resource Information

As an office, Veteran Student Center recognizes the sacrifice of not only our service members, but also our spouses and military dependents. These folks often assisted the service member as s/he went on multiple deployments, changed duty stations to locations around the world, and took on different roles through various transition periods. We want to ensure that you feel as welcome here at MSU as those that identify as military or veterans.

Due to the range of benefit opportunities available to dependents/spouses, you will need to make contact with the Veteran Student Center to ensure your benefits are processed in a timely manner 417-836-6199 and/or We are glad to have you as apart of our community, and also welcome you to attend any of our events as they pertain to your personal, professional, and/or academic pursuits.

Parents/Sponsors: Please note that we may need to utilize a FERPA Release if your student wishes to have you communicate on their behalf at any point during the benefit or education transition process.

GI Bill Benefit Checklist for Missouri State

Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) - Programs:

Chapter 35 - Dependents or Spouse of 100% Disabled or Deceased Veterans

This program provides benefits for dependents and spouses of veterans who died or are 100% disabled due to service-connected causes.

Chapter 33 – Post 9-11 GI Bill*

Eligible dependents who have had Chapter 33 Post 9-11 benefits transferred to them by an active duty service member.This program provides financial support for education and housing to individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001 or individuals discharges with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for Post 9-11 GI Bill. Individuals may transfer benefits* to eligible dependents.

  • Application for Educational Assistance (Form 22-1990) or certificate of eligibility received from the VA
  • Copy of DD-214 Discharge Document – Member 4 copy (This form is provided to you by your military branch at completion of enlistment.)
  • Veterans Certification Request Form (Every term)

* If you are a service member transferring benefits to a spouse or child or are the dependent of a service member using transferred benefits please ensure all steps are completed.

Fry Scholarship - VA

This VA Program provides education benefits to eligible children and surviving spouses of service members who died in the line of duty after September 10, 2001.