Statement on Sustainability
Missouri State University is committed to sustainability and stewardship. By working to create a sustainable environment through community service efforts, the application of earth-friendly technology and practices, research projects, and responsible development planning, we will strive to work for a better tomorrow. Through education and community outreach, we will provide students with the knowledge and skills to be responsible citizens and consider the global ramifications of their actions and the actions of others around them. To that end, Missouri State University is committed to continuous improvement in:
- Incorporation of environmentally responsible concerns in University decision making.
- Demonstration of institutional practices that promote sustainability, including energy savings measures, increasing the use of renewable resources, community outreach, and decreasing production of waste materials.
- Providing educational programs and encouraging inquiry for students and the community concerning positive sustainability practices.
- Establishment of sustainability indicators to enable monitoring, reporting and improvement measures.
- Enhancing the health of campus ecosystems and increasing the diversity of native species whenever possible.
- Promotion of health, productivity and safety practices on campus through education, maintenance and design of campus buildings.
Our decisions and actions will be guided by the University's Public Affairs Mission, will be reflective of the University's resources, and informed by the University's Strategic Plan. As a learning institution, we recognize that planning for sustainability will be an evolving and iterative practice.