In order to expedite the moving process, Space Management requests that your department complete the following prior to the arrival of the moving crew. All Academic space moves will take place during regular business hours (8am - 5pm) unless special circumstances dictate.
Campus Move Instructions
Reduce what you have to pack and move
- Review University guidelines for record retention and then purge appropriate files.
- Consolidate records.
- Survey existing furniture and storage:
- Identify what items will move to the new space.
- Identify items for disposal.
- Identify items to be transferred to University Property Control for re-allocation or surplus sales. Complete Surplus Property Form.
Preparing Furniture and Equipment
- All desks, storage cabinets, bookcases, file cabinets, credenzas, etc. must be empty before move. Be sure to lock them and remove the keys.
- Office chairs should be numbered in sequence, for example, chair one of three, to ensure that the entire group is returned to the correct owner/department.
- Disconnect and prepare all office equipment - computers, printers, fax machines and copiers as per the instructions in your owner's manual. Copiers that are under contract must be moved by the specific company.
- Wrap up cords and/or wires using ties, string, or rubber bands. Label all cords.
- If you are unsure on how to prepare your equipment, contact Computer Services.
Boxes, Packing and Labeling
- Boxes may be ordered from the selected moving company:
- For Bestway Moving, contact Cindy Hart at 417-866-6542.
- For Fry Wagner, contact Tom Tristan at 417-880-6348.
- Boxes should be ordered at least 1 week in advance. The department funding the move is responsible for the cost of the boxes.
- Packing tape may be ordered through Office Depot.
- When packing the boxes be sure to use adequate packing materials.
- Please be aware of the weight of each packed box. Do not overfill.
- If the box needs special handling it should be set apart, clearly marked FRAGILE and identified to the movers.
- If the items are personal property, it is recommended you move the items yourself, especially artwork, framed pictures, figurines, plants, etc.
- All boxes must be labeled with a white label (or label provided by the moving company) indicating the person's name and the new room number or space that they are assigned to in the new location. Boxes should be numbered in sequence, for example, box one of five, to ensure that all are returned. Place labels on the end panels, not on top of box.
- All furniture, equipment or any item being moved must be labeled (include person’s name, new room number/location) with a white identification label. We suggest that departments utilize a brand of removable multipurpose labels that will not damage the surface. (i.e. Avery 6460)
Surplus and Trash
- University property is to be disposed of through the Property Control Office.
- Paper, boxes and trash must be discarded in the appropriate containers.
- Boxes that are unused or that are in good condition may be returned for reuse. Please contact Space Management at 417-836-5233 for additional details.
Each department listed below requires advance notice for their designated services. The following items are the responsibility of the relocating department:
- Contact Networking and Telecommunications to schedule the move of phone lines and network jacks. Network and phone line cables are obtained from this department also.
- Contact Human Resources for instruction on how to update campus address information.
- Contact Key Control to request lock changes and new keys.
- Contact Custodial Services to request additional trash/ recycling pickup.
- Contact Property Control to schedule the removal of surplus property.