Advisor Toolkit

The Advisor Toolkit is designed for the Missouri State academic advising community as a tool to assist with Office of the Registrar-related functions. The Advisor Toolkit contains the following resources:

Semester Cycle Timelines-Advisor Focused

The following timeline documents have been developed to academic advisors in planning for the various advisor-related functions that occur during the academic semester. These timeline formats have the same information, but are provided in different formats in order to best support the way the advisor wishes to review the information.

Advisor Question Depository

The Advisor Question Depository is created from commonly asked advisor questions. Questions are grouped by topic. Anchor links are provided so you can quickly navigate to your topic of choice. If you have suggestions for additional content that may be helpful, please share your suggestion by emailing Content will be updated based as new advisor inquiries develop.

Additional Advisor Resources

These are links to other pre-existing pages outside of this resource that may be helpful as supplemental information.

Semester Cycle Timeline-Advisor Focused

Academic Semester Cycle for Advisors (General Layout)
This timeline is a general view to see the various functions that make up each semester of the academic year.

Academic Semester Cycle for Advisors (Date Layout)
This timeline is a date-driven view to see the various functions that make up each semester of the academic year by looking up a specific date to see what semester events occur around the selected date.

Academic Semester Cycle for Advisors (Item Layout)
This timeline is a item-driven view to see the various functions that make up each semester of the academic year by looking up a specific item to see when that item occurs for a specific semester cycle.

Office of the Registrar Generic Annual Texting Schedule
This schedule shows the annual texting schedule of the Office of the Registrar and includes the specific message used in each text.

Advisor Question Depository

Registration Status
Trial Schedule Builder/College Scheduler
Registration Resources
Mixed Credit and Senior Permission
Majors, Minors, and Certificates
DG/DX (Admission to Degree Program) Holds
Pass/Not Pass Courses
Transfer Reevaluation and Pre-Approval
Students Returning After Extended Absence
Graduation and Commencement

Registration Status

How do I tell when my advisee can register and if my advisee has everything in order for registration?

This is something the student or advisor has access to see through the student’s Registration Status link as found for advisors on My Missouri State > Teaching & Advising tab > Student Information channel > Student Information Menu link > Registration status. This screen tells the student when their earlier registration date and time is and shows the items that the student needs to address in order to be eligible to registrar.

Registration Status screen shot

Registration date and time is based on the number of completed credits. In-progress classes are not included in calculating registration date and time. When we have receive communication from students that they believe they have the wrong registration date and time, it’s usually because they have included in-progress coursework.

When is the Registration Status page available for a registration cycle?

The Registration Status page for summer and fall registration is typically updated on February 1 and for spring registration on September 1.

My advisee has a hold and does not know why. What should the advisee do?

The University Hold Codes page provides information about the various holds, whether they affect registration and/or transcript release, and provides contact information for the University office that oversees the hold.

Trial Schedule Builder/College Scheduler

My advisee and/or I cannot find a course on the Trial Schedule Builder. Why is it missing?

The typical reason is that the user does not have the proper parts of term and/or campuses selected, with campuses being the most common issue. This is particularly heightened during periods where there are an increased number of online and/or blended courses. Many students select “Springfield, MO” as their only campus, and therefore are leaving such courses out of their search.

Trial Schedule Builder Filters screenshot

Trial Schedule Builder will keep the campus selection made during the student's previous use of the software. It is recommended that students minimally keep the following campuses selected. The remaining campus selections refer to campuses outside Springfield, but the student may prefer to just keep all campuses selected.

  • Off-campus; Online; Springfield, MO; Springfield, MO (No SSF)

Trial Schedule Builder Campus Filter screenshot

Another reason is that if the Course Status selected is "open courses only" and there are no sections with open seats, then the search would yield no results.

If my advisee and/or I cannot find the course on the Trial Schedule Builder, does that mean the advisee will be unable to register for it?

No. The Trial Schedule Builder is an optional resource for students. They may also register directly through My Missouri State by following the Search for classes link on the Registration tab, selecting the course(s) they want to register for and clicking the register button.

My advisee can find the courses they want on the Trial Schedule Builder, but does not know how to register in them from Trial Schedule Builder. What should they do?

If there are existing courses already in the student's registration cart from a previous session, they can clear them by going to My Missouri State > Registration channel > Add or Drop Classes > Trial Schedule Builder Cart. Click the check box next to the classes the advisee wishes to clear from the cart and click the “Clear Cart” button.

Picture of the Registration Cart with Clear Cart button highlighted

Go to Trial Schedule Builder (My Missouri State > Registration channel > Trial Schedule Builder), which will redirect to the screen where the advisee will pick the desired term.

Picture of the Trial Schedule Builder Term Selection

The advisee will select the courses in which they wish to register. In this example, LAW 231 and ITC 201 are used.

Picture of the Trial Schedule Builder Add Courses screen

The advisee will generate the possible schedules and click the "View" link beside the preferred schedule.

Picture of the Trial Schedule Builder View Schedule Selection screen

The advisee can click the Send to Shopping Cart button at the top of the screen.

Picture of the Trial Schedule Builder Send to Shopping Cart Screen

The advisee will click the Continue button when they get the shopping cart transfer message.

Picture of the Trial Schedule Builder Transfer to Shopping Cart Confirmation

This will take the advisee to the Registration Cart, where they should click the Register button to add the courses.

Picture of the Registration Cart Register button

Where can students find additional instruction about using the Trial Schedule Builder?

Registration Resources

My advisee doesn't know how to register. What should I do?

The Web Registration FAQ is a good general resource about basic registration functions such as adding/dropping courses, how to register for courses that require permission, how to register for a closed class (with permission), and similar types of functions.

My advisee cannot register. What should I do?

More information is needed generally to answer this question. It’s recommended to start with the Registration Status page to see if the student is eligible to attempt to register yet. If they are eligible and indicate they have made a registration attempt, it will be important to have them note the specific registration error they receives when they try to register as there are a variety of reasons that a student might not be able to register.

The Registration Errors page on the Office of the Registrar website does the following:

  • Lists the various error messages that a student may see.
  • Provides a definition of what that error means.
  • Provides instruction on how to resolve the error, which typically is something that needs to be done by an academic department.
  • Provides instruction on the type of override needed if the department wishes to provide an override to the registration error.

My advisee has a hold and cannot drop a class. What should they do?

The student can go to My Missouri State > Registration tab > My Student Records > Holds. On the View Holds page, they will have a "Drop with a Registration Hold request" link. They can click the check boxes for the classes they wish to drop and submit. Their request will be submitted to the Office of the Registrar for processing.

My advisee is getting a prerequisite error when they try to register for a course. We entered a course exception on the degree audit for the course that meets this prerequisite. What is needed?

The degree audit system and prerequisite checking are two independent systems, so the prerequisite system would not have the ability to recognize a course exception in the degree audit. The student would need to obtain a prerequisite override from the corresponding academic department.

Even if the systems did communicate back and forth with one another, we would likely not want such automation to occur. For example, if we have a major called Jellybean Studies and it required course ABC 123 as a prerequisite and the Jellybean Studies department decided to substitute some alternate non-ABC course, their decision to substitute it doesn’t mean that the Alphabet Department would necessarily be okay with their alternate non-ABC course meeting prerequisites for upper-division ABC coursework that had ABC 123 as a prerequisite as they would want to ensure the student had the appropriate background to be successful in the course.

Mixed Credit and Senior Permission

What is the difference between Mixed Credit and Senior Permission?

Mixed credit courses can count towards an UG degree and GR degree. Senior permission is simply permission to take GR coursework prior to being an official GR student, but it is not allowed to apply towards an UG degree. Both require approval paperwork. More information about this can be found on the mixed credit and senior permission website.

My advisee is admitted to an accelerated Master’s program. Why can’t they register in mixed credit or senior permission classes?

In these scenarios, the student is typically a current undergraduate (UG) student who is admitted as a graduate (GR) student for a future semester beyond the one they are trying to register for. Since the student is still an undergraduate student in the semester they are trying to register for, they must have either mixed credit or senior permission in order to register in graduate coursework for that semester. The mixed credit/senior permission form must be filled out, the proper signatures obtained, and returned to the Graduate College for approval. Upon their approval, it will be forwarded to the Office of the Registrar for the corresponding mixed credit or senior permission override to be entered, which is what allows the student to be able to register for the course. It is important to note that the mixed credit/senior permission form does not register the student. It gives the student permission to register themselves for the class.

Should my advisee register in an undergraduate or graduate course for their mixed credit?

Students wishing to receive mixed credit must register in the corresponding GR course (the course they receive mixed credit permission for on the form). At the conclusion of the semester in which the course is completed, a secondary level of “UG” will be added to the GR course, which will allow it to apply to both levels. So, as an example, a student would end up with ABC 678 UG credit and ABC 678 GR credit.

Why isn’t my mixed credit courses on my UG degree audit? (Course currently in-progress)

Since the UG level is not added until the end of the semester of completion, the mixed credit course will not appear on the UG audit until that time. There is a message on the UG audit explaining this to the user.

I understand the mixed credit course is not on the audit until the end of the semester, but how can I tell if the student has mixed permission credit for the course?

Students and advisors can see that the mixed credit permission override is in place on the student’s Registration Status page for the semester in which the mixed credit is being completed.

Registration Status Highlighting Mixed Credit Override Screenshot

Why isn’t my advisee's mixed credit courses on their UG degree audit? (Course completed previous semester)

Typically this is caused by one of the following issues:

  • Student registered in the wrong course (registered in UG instead of GR).
  • Student received senior permission instead of mixed credit.
  • Student applied pre-maturely to the graduate program and therefore was eligible to register in GR courses, and failed to 1) notify the graduate college that they needed to move back their semester of GR admission and 2) failed to complete mixed credit paperwork at the time they initially enrolled in the course since they were classified as GR for the future semester at the time of enrollment. The Graduate College and the Office of the Registrar would likely need to be involved in administrative clean-up in these situations.
  • The secondary level of “UG” did not get properly added during the end of term processing, which the Office of the Registrar would need to investigate.

Why isn’t my advisee's mixed credit course counting where I think it should on their degree audit?

Often the mixed credit course is being allowed to substitute for a corresponding UG course. The mixed credit course needs to be substituted by the corresponding academic department into the appropriate program requirement location. To aid with this, the Office of the Registrar sends department heads a list of students taking mixed credit courses. This is sent during the second week of the semester (after open enrollment closes) so they have ample time to review it and apply course exceptions as appropriate. Even though the courses are not visible on the audit yet, the exceptions can be entered in advance, and it’s encouraged to do so in order to be in place at the time the mixed credit course is apply and graduation clearance processing begins.

Is there a limit on how much mixed credit a student can earn?

Yes, but it varies by graduate program. Typical limits range from from 6-12 credits. The Graduate College monitors the mixed credit limits as part of their approval in the processing of the mixed credit/senior permission form. Questions related to the limitations on how much mixed credit may be earned should be directed to the Graduate College for review.

Is there a limit on how much senior permission a student can earn?

Yes. There is a maximum of 12 senior permission credits. The Graduate College monitors the senior permission credit limits as part of their approval in the processing of the mixed credit/senior permission form.

Majors, Minors, and Certificates

How do I know what majors, minors, and certificates are available to students?

The major, minor, and certificates codes list contains the program codes for currently available majors, minor, and certificates for undergraduate and graduate programs.

Who does a student contact to declare a major, minor, or certificate?

For undergraduate students, the primary offices to process these requests are the Academic Advising and Transfer Center and the Office of the Registrar. College of Business related transactions are processed by the College of Business Advisement Center.

For graduate students, they should contact Graduate Admissions as most graduate programs have a process that requires specific program admission.

Can any minor be paired with any major?

No. Each minor specifies the degrees it can be paired with. In the below example, the Nutrition minor can be paired with a BA, BS, and BSN degree, but not with other degree types.

Nutrition minor code availability example screenshot

Additionally, some departments may have restrictions related to particular major/minor pairings within the department. Please refer to the corresponding department portion of the undergraduate catalog if you have questions about departmental restrictions.

Is there any way to earn a minor if it is not available in my advisee's degree type or even if it is a minor the University does not typically offer?

Yes. If the department is willing to allow the student to pursue the minor as a personalized minor, this would allow an avenue for the student to pursue a minor not typically available. Additional information about this including the form the department uses to approve the request can be found on the catalog's personalized minor page.

Can a minor be earned by itself?

No. A minor must be awarded as part of an earned degree. Therefore:

  • Students may not enroll at the institution to pursue a minor only.
  • A student may not attempt to earn a minor post-graduation and seek to attach it to a previously awarded degree.

These rules are covered as part of the University's General Baccalaureate Policy.

Can a certificate be earned by itself?

Yes. A student may enroll for the purpose of pursuing only a certificate. The admission process to be followed is the same followed by a degree-seeking student. However, some certificates do have admission requirements that required a minimum number of credits to have been earned in order to be eligible to pursue the certificate.

If my advisee changes their major, does that affect their general education catalog?

No. Missouri State University's catalog of graduation policy allows for students to have separate degree (general education/Core 42), major, minor, and certificate catalogs. The degree audit will read Banner to identify the catalog entered for each independent item and will pull the corresponding requirements into the degree audit accordingly.

NOTE: When using a "what-if" degree audit, it is not possible to enter different catalog terms for each section, so be mindful of this when using the "what-if" audit feature.

My advisee is pursuing a combination of multiple degrees and/or certificates, but only some of them are on the degree audit. How do I see the degree audit for the other degree and/or certificate?

The student will have separate degree audits for each degree and/or certificate. This is also how it works for students who are admitted to a future graduate program in terms of having access to their undergraduate and graduate degree audit. In these situations, the user may toggle between degree audits by clicking on the degree drop-down box found in the upper-right portion of the student’s degree audit.

Degree Audit Degree Drop Down Menu Screenshot

Can a student major in a pre-professional area (such as Pre-Law or Pre-Medicine)?

No. You may encounter a situation where a student has such a major during their initial semester of admission as it is made available in the admission application cycle since students may not understand the structure of how a pre-professional code works, but this is not a major with which a student can graduate. During SOAR or the student's initial semester, the student should receive advice that the pre-professional designation is not an official degree program and rather an interest indicator that is attached to a corresponding official program. Pre-professional interest is not listed on a diploma, degree audit, or transcript.

My advisee is pursuing a non-comprehensive major which requires a minor. Do they have any alternatives they can pursue instead of a minor?

Yes. Per the University's General Baccalaureate Degree Policy, the following items may substitute in place of the required minor:

  • A second major of the same degree type.
  • A second major of a different degree type. This will require degree audit adjustment to waive the minor requirement. This is typically done towards the end of the student's enrollment at the University to ensure a minimum amount of coursework was completed to earn a minor in case the student dropped the second major and need to revert back to pursuit of a minor.
  • A previously earned Bachelor's degree. This will require degree audit adjustment to waive the minor requirement.

Items that may not serve as an alternative to a minor requirement include the following:

  • An additional option for majors that have multiple options available.
  • A certificate.

Can a student pursue an additional undergraduate program and a graduate program at the same time?

Officially in the Banner system, they cannot. Unofficially, we can work with students who wish to pursue this. Below are the steps that would need to be followed to do so.

  • A student cannot officially be an undergraduate and graduate student in Banner at the same time. Therefore, the would need to be officially classified in Banner as pursuing the graduate degree (so that the student would be eligible to register for graduate classes.)
  • Since the undergraduate program would not be “officially declared” on Banner, the student will not be able to use a current degree audit. The student will need to monitor requirements by running a “what-if” degree audit for the certificate for the catalog year they are pursuing. It is recommended that the advisor record the catalog information in Advising Notes for reference.
  • Since the undergraduate program would not be “officially declared” on Banner, the student would not be able to use the online Application to Graduate through My Missouri State as the undergraduate program would not be a selectable option. They would want to use the printable version of the Application to Graduate and submit this to In the Additional Comments section, the student should say the following: “I’m pursuing this UG program while also pursuing a GR degree, which is why this undergraduate program is not declared. See my advising notes for further detail.”
  • Assuming all requirements are met at the end of the intended semester of graduation, we will post the undergraduate program to the transcript despite the program not being “officially declared” in Banner.
  • If the student finishes their graduate program before finishing their undergraduate program, the student would be switched back to undergraduate status after being cleared for graduation with the graduate degree, which would restore the student to regular undergraduate functionality as it relates to degree audit and ability to apply to graduate.
  • Any financial aid implications should be discussed with the Office of Student Financial Aid.
  • Keep in mind that the advisee would not appear on any department or program related student lists, so the student may not receive communications sent by the department to such students.
  • If any exceptions are needed towards the undergraduate program, you will need to work with the Office of the Registrar to arrange to process these.

I'm working with a returning student who has been away from the University for more than a year. Their degree audit shows they are under the current requirements, but our department wants to allow them to meet their previous requirements. What do we do?

Per the University's General Baccalaureate policy, students who re-enroll after one calendar year or more (a combination of spring/summer/fall), the student is readmitted under current program requirements. If a department wishes to allow the student to be readmitted to their previous catalog, the department head just needs to send an email to giving permission for the student to be readmitted to their previous catalog. For education related programs, this may not always be possible if state certification requirements have changed since last enrolled.

DG/DX (Application to Degree Program) Holds

What is the purpose of a DG or DX hold?

These holds are designed to encourage the student to be admitted to their undergraduate degree program so as to lock in their graduation requirements. These holds are applied to students who 1) have declared programs with admissions requirements to which they are not yet admitted or 2) are undeclared majors. DG holds are applied to students who have completed 75-99 credits and DX holds are applied to students who have completed 100 or more credits.

When are DG and DX holds applied?

They are applied twice per academic year. They are generally applied a few days before the class schedule becomes available for the fall and spring/summer semesters respectively. Departments which have programs with admission requirements are given a couple of weeks advanced notice so they can submit degree program admissions in advance of the application of the holds.

If a student gets a DG or DX hold, how do they resolve it?

At the time the hold is applied, the student receives an email explaining the purpose of the hold and with instructions on how to resolve the hold. They generally receive this about two months prior to the start of sequenced registration, and the email encourages the student to resolve the hold well in advance of the beginning of registration.

The options to resolve the hold are:

  • Become admitted to the declared program, at which point the office processing the transaction can remove the hold.
  • Change programs to a program that does not have admission requirements, at which point the office processing the transaction can remove the hold.
  • If not eligible for admission, the student may request temporary clearance to register for the upcoming semester. To do this, the student should log into My Missouri State and navigate to Registration > My Registration > Registration Status. From there, click on the DG/DX hold link which will allow the student to submit the request. For DG hold students (those with 75-89 undergraduate hours), this request has to be approved by the department head. For DX hold students (those with 90 or more undergraduate hours), this clearance has to be approved by both the department head and college dean. Once approved, the student will receive an email letting them know the hold was removed and that they may register as long as no other registration issues exist.

Pass/Not Pass Courses

Can a student taking pass/not pass courses apply them towards their degree requirements?

Pass/not pass coursework that students elect to put on pass/not pass may apply towards the following types of requirements:

  • 120 minimum undergraduate credit count.
  • 40 hour upper-division credit count.

Pass/not pass coursework that students elect to put on pass/not pass may not apply towards the following types of requirements:

  • General education or Core 42
  • Major, minor, or certificate requirements
  • Other related requirements

Note: A one-time COVID-related exception to this was made for spring 2020 courses only.

My advisee took a pass/not pass course in spring 2020 but it's not applying to the related requirement. Wasn't it supposed to? What should we do?

Since pass/not pass does not normally apply and spring 2020 was a one-time exception, all applicability to general education and program requirements had to be done manually through course exceptions. The following transactions done post-spring 2020 may necessitate additional manual intervention:

  • Student adds an additional program (such as a minor or certificate) that the pass/not pass course is applicable towards.
  • Student changes programs and the change is to a program that the pass/not pass course is applicable towards.
  • Student change the catalog they are pursuing for their program, which would break the originally applied exceptions and they would need to be reapplied as applicable.

Students in this situation can contact the Office of the Registrar at to request application of the needed spring 2020 pass/not pass related course exceptions.

How do pass/not pass courses affect GPA?

They do not directly. A pass/not pass course has no GPA affect in terms of inclusion into GPA hours and quality points earned. They can indirectly affect a GPA when they are used to replace a previously graded attempt. For example, if a student earned a "D" in a course previously and repeated the course as a pass/not pass course, the "D" would end up excluded from GPA and the new "P" attempt would have no GPA impact, so the net results would be the removal of the "D" from the GPA calculation. Of course, the new attempt would be subject to the usability limitations of pass/not pass coursework.

How can I tell if my student is taking a course on pass/not pass?

Often advisors are prompted to ask this question when they notice that a student is enrolled in a program course but the course is not applying towards the program requirement. To confirm if the student is taking the course on pass/not pass, you can look at the course's grade mode on the Student Schedule Detail as found on the Student Information Menu in My Missouri State.

Student Schedule Detail Pass Not Pass Example Screenshot

Transfer Reevaluation and Pre-Approval

Our department wants to change a student's transfer evaluation. Where do I do that?

A common misunderstanding is that this is done through the degree audit. It is done instead through the University's Transfer Credit Reevaluation and Preapproval system, which is administered by the Office of Admissions. This can be accessed in the following ways:

  • By the student through My Missouri State > Student tab > My Transfer Info channel.
  • By the authorized department head through My Missouri State > Teaching and Advising tab > Faculty and Advisor Resources.

This system utilizes a workflow system to route the student's requests to the appropriate approver. The approver's decision is recorded as an advising note and routed to the Office of Admissions for processing, where it submits to a hub for later processing. It also appears in a column on the student's transfer evaluation indicating an approval has been made but not yet processed. The approver will be able to indicate if this is a one time approval just for the student or a permanent change that will prompt a change to the University's Transfer Equivalency Guide. Once processed by Admissions, the change is picked up in the degree audit during overnight updates.

Questions about this system should be directed to the Office of Admissions.

Our department could just substitute this course with a course exception, so why would I even want to consider doing a transfer reevaluation instead?

There are multiple reasons that a transfer reevaluation may be more beneficial than a course exception. These reasons include the following:

  • Course exception apply only to an individual student. If the department head wants to make this a permanent reevaluation, doing so would eliminate the need to continue to make exceptions for the same transfer course over and over in the future.
  • A course exception has no impact on the prerequisite system for course registration. So, if a department substitutes a ABC 000 elective course for ABC 123 rather than reevaluate the course as ABC 123, the course maintains its evaluation identity. So, if the student tries to register for a course that has ABC 123 as a prerequisite, a substitution does not help that situation while a reevaluation does.
  • Applicability to the upper division course requirement is based on course evaluation. So, if a course was evaluated as ABC 000 and you substituted it for ABC 345 instead of doing a transfer evaluation, it would continue to count as lower-division since ABC 000 is a lower-division course. If you reevaluate it as ABC 345, it would count towards the upper-division requirement.
  • Course evaluations would be made based on the best applicable decision for the course. A department would not want to miss an opportunity to provide a more accurate transfer equivalency solely because "an easier way" existed to administratively not have to submit a transfer reevaluation request at the time. Plus, if the reevaluation causes the course to now naturally apply to the requirement, a course exception would no longer be needed.

My advisee is thinking about transferring a course to MSU. How do I see what the equivalency will be?

The University's Transfer Equivalency Guide maintained by the Office of Admissions allows users to look up how classes will transfer to the university. Search options include to search by institution (See how courses transfer to Missouri State) or to search by course to see what institutions offer an equivalent to a specific MSU course (Search for an equivalent course at another college).

Students Returning After Extended Absence

I am advising a student who wishes to return after an extended absence of over a calendar year. What should they do?

If they have been out for more than a calendar year, they will need to apply for readmission to the University in order to become eligible to register again. If they were suspended at the time they left, they will additionally need to apply to be reinstated through their academic dean.

Can the student go back to their previous general education?

By default, they will be admitted under the current general education. Upon their request, they may be returned to their previous general education requirements if they were within 2 or less courses of completing it. This can be checked by running a "what-if" degree audit for their previous general education catalog term.

Can the student go back to their previous program requirements?

By default, they will be admitted under the current program requirements. Upon request of their department head, they may be returned to their previous program requirements. There are some limitations that may apply if they were previously pursuing a program that is no longer offered by the University or if the program was education-related and state teacher certification requirements have changed.

It has been several years since my advisee attended Missouri State and I cannot find them in Degree Works. What should I do?

Contact the Office of the Registrar at to request for the student to be pulled into Degree Works. The Office of the Registrar has a process (provided the student's academic record is in Banner versus microfilm, which is generally students last here prior to 1982/1983) they can run to pull the student into Degree Works. Keep in mind that it will show the student's previous requirements, which may not even be programmed in Degree Works, but you would be able to run "what-if" degree audits for the current program requirements until such time that the student was readmitted to the University under a current program.

Graduation and Commencement

How do I tell if a student has everything in order to graduate?

  • Check to see if the student has applied to graduate. Even if all requirements are in order, the student will not be reviewed for eligibility if they do not apply. The easiest place for advisors to see this is at the end of the Student Information box on the Advising Notes page. If a student has a declared semester of graduation (meaning they have formally applied), it will appear as follows:

Advising Notes Declared Graduation Term with Application Screenshot

If the student has not applied to graduate, it will display as "undeclared" and will appear as follows:

Advising Notes Declared Graduation Term with No Application Screenshot

  • Check the student’s audit to look for the combination of 98% degree progress (which is the default if all items are met but part of those items are currently in-progress) paired with an “in-progress” indicator in the degree block. If you have the percentage but don’t have the “in-progress” indicator, it means there is still an unresolved item on the degree audit.

Degree audit showing 98 percent completion with in-progress indicator screen shot

  • Ensure the student is not repeating a previously passed course for grade improvement as such situations can affect graduation eligibility if not taken into account. There is a warning message on the degree audit about this. Methods for checking this include comparing the student’s current registration to a transcript of their previous coursework or using the Administrative Audit to look for these scenarios. For those not familiar with using the Administrative Audit, instructions can be found at the end of the corresponding Degree Works User’s Guides.
  • Note: For graduate graduation candidates, any questions about audit status should be directed to the Graduate College as they program the degree audit and provide the graduation clearance review for graduate students.

If a student wants to walk in spring but will not be done until summer, what should they do?

The student should apply for summer graduation when filing their Application to Graduate. Summer applicants are given the option of selecting their semester of commencement participation as part of the application process, so the student will be able to select spring or fall commencement participation (since there is no summer commencement ceremony) at that time.

What will appear on a student's diploma versus what will appear on their transcript?

Items that appear on the diploma and transcript are the following:

  • Student name
  • Degree (or Certificate)
  • Major (including title of individualized majors)
  • Scholastic Honors as applicable

Items that will not appear on the diploma but will appear on the transcript are the following:

  • Minors as applicable
  • Program options

Items that will not appear on a diploma or transcript are the following:

  • Unofficial emphasis. Some programs have a group of electives where students are encourage to pick some combination as an "emphasis" but it's not something that is part of the official program code or option title.
  • Foreign language studied as part of the Modern Language major as the language is not part of the option title.
  • Program accreditation information
  • Extra-curricular activities

Students receive one diploma per degree. As an example, if a student earns two Bachelor of Science majors, they will receive one Bachelor of Science diploma with both majors included. If a student earns one Bachelor of Science major and one Bachelor of Arts major, they will receive two diplomas (BA, BS). Certificates are issue on the same paper used to produce diplomas. Additional information about these requirements can be found on the undergraduate catalog diploma page.

When will the student have their degree posted on their transcript and/or receive their diploma?

These dates can be found on the University's Academic Calendar page.

What is the latest that a student can resolve a graduation issue and still be cleared for graduation in time?

Students who have pending issues (e.g. incoming transfer work, incomplete grades, pending course exceptions) must resolve their graduation deficiency no later than the last day of June for the spring semester, the last day of August for the summer semester, and the last day of January for the fall semester. Students who do not resolve their pending issue by the deadline will need to reapply for a future semester of graduation.

If a student has a hold (such as owning money), does that prevent them from graduating?

No. The University does not prevent a student from graduating due to a hold. Depending on the hold, it can block the release of the student's diploma and/or transcript until such time that the hold has been resolved, but the student still would have been officially cleared for graduation on-time.

If a student applies for graduation, is deleted, and later resolves the graduation issue, what will their graduation semester be?

It will be the semester in which the issue is resolved and the student successfully files for graduation. For example, let's say a student applied for spring 2020 graduation but was not officially cleared because their transfer work did not arrive on time. In September, the student had their transcript from the other institution sent to MSU and reapplied for graduation for fall 2020. Their official semester of graduation (what's recorded on their transcript and diploma) would be fall 2020.

Is there a place I can get a list of my advisees who have applied to graduate?

Yes. Bear Intelligence/ARGOS users can access a report that lists students who have applied to graduate. There are a number of filters available including level/college/department/program. An additional filter is to filter by academic advisor. The report is called Graduation Candidates by College or Department and can be accessed at Bear Intelligence > Academic Departmental List > Graduation Lists.

When will students who graduate be removed from my advisee list?

On the Wednesday and/or Thursday of the week before a new semester begins, the Office of the Registrar and the Graduate College participate in a process called Student Type After Graduation. For students who were successfully graduated and who are no longer pursing a degree, they are changed to post-baccalaureate (for UG graduates) or post-Master's (for GR graduates) status and their advisor is inactive effective the upcoming semester. For students who are continuing on to pursue an additional program, their advisor is kept active as applicable.

Additional Advisor Resources

Policies to which advisors are commonly referred

General Baccalaureate Policy
This policy contains our University's undergraduate rules about majors/minors, catalogs of graduation, University GPA requirements, the University exit survey, the Civics exam, and residency requirements.

Scholastic Honors Policy
This policy contains the eligibility requirements for scholastic honors. NOTE: Scholastic honors are for undergraduate degrees only. There are no scholastic honors for graduate programs.

Transfer Credit Policy
This policy contains the policy information that governs our transfer policies, such as AA degrees waiving general education requirements and information about what types of credits are accepted.

Supplemental websites that may be helpful to advisors

Academic Appeals Procedures
This website contains information about the procedures for the various types of academic appeals about which a student may inquire.

Bear Intelligence
Bear Intelligence is the University's data resources. It provides access to ARGOS queries, but it organized in a way to make it friendlier for users to find the reports they need. Some commonly used reports that are available related to advising include the following:

  • Advisee List by Department and Primary Advisor with BearPass Number (Bear Intelligence > Faculty/Advisor Reports > Advisor Reports)
  • Advisee List by Department and Secondary Advisor with BearPass Number (Bear Intelligence > Faculty/Advisor Reports > Advisor Reports)
  • Final Graduation List (Bear Intelligence > Academic Departmental List > Graduation Lists)
  • Graduation Candidates by College or Department (Bear Intelligence > Academic Departmental List > Graduation Lists)
  • List of Students without an Advisor (Bear Intelligence > Faculty/Advisor Reports > Advisor Reports)
  • Student Majors by Department (Bear Intelligence > Academic Departmental List > Student, Academic, and Directory Lists)
  • Student Minors by Department (Bear Intelligence > Academic Departmental List > Student, Academic, and Directory Lists)

The website is a gateway to the undergraduate catalog, graduate catalog, and online catalog archives.

Civics Exam
This website contains information about the state-required Civics Exam for undergraduate students. Information includes who is eligible to have this requirement waived and study guides for students who need to complete the exam. It also contains contact information should students have questions about the exam.

Core 42
This is the University's Core 42 page. It is designed in a FAQ format and contains a link to the state's Core 42 website as well.

Course Teaching and Class Modalities
This website explains the various class modalities that are available. Information included are schedule expectations, tuition charges for the modality, student service fees status, and the instructional method code. NOTE: These modalities go into effect during the spring 2022 registration cycle.

Credit by Exam access (Transferring Credit to MSU)
This page contains links that allows the user to see how Advanced Placement (AP), College Level Exam Program (CLEP), International Baccalaureate (IB) and other credit by exam times transfer to MSU.

Curricular Proposal Information
Housed on the Faculty Senate website, this page houses the Curricular Action Workflow System. Users can track changes that have been proposed to the University curriculum for both courses and programs. Login required.

Degree Works
This page houses information about our degree audit and student educational planner software. Highlights include the user's guides designed for the various user roles who utilize this software.

GPA Calculator
This page houses the University's GPA calculator. It includes a GPA Calculator user's guide to assist advisors and students in how to use the calculator for various GPA scenarios.

Graduation Information for Academic Advisors
This website walks advisors through the graduation process in more detail and contains information about Commencement participation.

Information for Academic Advisors
This page housed on the Academic Advising and Transfer Center website contains a variety of advisor related resources, including information about training/development opportunities, advising/transfer councils, award recipients, and other useful resources.

Student Affairs Faculty Resources Page
Developed by the Student Affairs Bridge-Building Committee, this page contains resources related to support Student Affairs can provide to faculty and advisors for a variety of various topics.

Tuition and Fees
This page contains tuition and student services fees information.

University Exit Survey
This website contains information about the university exit survey required of all undergraduate degree-seeking students. This exam is loaded into Blackboard for the student to complete once the student has reached 102 completed undergraduate credits (as it is intended to be completed during the student's last semester or two). It also contains contact information should students have questions about the exam.