Fall 2023 Drum Line & Front Ensemble Audition Information
2023 Drum Line & Front Ensemble Camps
(Attendance at all camps is mandatory. Exceptions would be for those marching drum corps, or school-related conflicts at the May camp. All absences must be approved prior to camp.)
Saturday May 6th – Battery Only
- This camp will be about meeting the staff and student leaders for the percussion as well as learning the standards and technique we utilize in the MSU Pride Marching Band! (No cuts/moves are made during this camp.)
- While this camp is about learning the ways of our percussion section, having the ability to play the audition material for this camp is heavily encouraged. The faster we can start rehearsing the music and not learning the music, the better off we will be!
RSVP for May 6 Camp
Saturday, June 3 - Sunday, June 4 – Battery & Front Ensemble
- During this camp we work on finalizing the battery placements. In order to do this
we will utilize the following concepts:
- Observable improvement from May to June Camp. Primarily done using the music that was given in the May camp for practice over the month break.
- Overall ability to adapt to new situations on the fly. Staff will utilize new music and marching fundamentals to assess this.
- Individual work ethic during the camp. These camps are a big opportunity to make the remaining season fun and productive. Work ethic is key to our success.
- Our percussion section is modeled in a way that everyone who auditions will have a home. This does not mean you will get your first choice of placement. (No one gets cut only moved essentially.) Please come prepared knowing that our staff, given its years of expertise, will place each member where they will succeed most for the season.
- For our front ensemble members this will be the camp where we learn the technique and leadership. No one will be cut or moved during this camp.
Saturday, July 15 - Sunday, July 16 – Battery & Front Ensemble
- If the line has not yet been established, then that is the primary goal of this camp. Please remember the 3 concepts we use in setting the percussion section up for success.
- Once the line has been established the remainder of this camp is dedicated to refining our standards for the MSU Pride Marching Band, cleaning and playing through as much music as possible and getting one step closer to our collective goal.
Sunday, August 13 - Sunday, August 20 - MSU Pride Marching Band Camp
- This camp will be held the week prior to the first day of classes in August. It encompasses everything from moving onto campus, to our first performances the weekend before classes start.
Prospective & Returning Members:
2. RSVP for the camp.
3. Please download and refer to the Information & Technique Manual. This contains both battery and front ensemble information.
4. Please download and print off copies of the audition material which will be used in each camp. Please arrive with prior knowledge of how to play these selections.
Battery Audition Material
|SNARE EXERCISES||TENOR EXERCISES||BASS EXERCISES|
Cymbal Audition Material
Please refer to the following videos for proper cymbal technique.
|WC Legatos / audio|
Front Ensemble Material