SOAR helps you make a successful transition to Missouri State, your new campus home. At SOAR, you will:
- Meet with academic representatives and learn about your academic college.
- Meet with your academic advisor to register for your first semester of classes.
- Become familiar with the university’s culture and public affairs mission.
- Meet your orientation leaders and other new students in a small group.
- Learn about resources available to you at Missouri State.
- New students with fewer than 24 transferable credit hours earned after their high school graduation are required to attend SOAR before registering for classes. (Credit earned while attending high school will not apply to this 24 hour requirement.) Exceptions exist for non-traditional students.
- Students must attend all scheduled SOAR activities to register for classes.
- Students attending June and July two-day programs must stay overnight on campus.
- Students are expected to complete SOAR registration and other college preparation tasks, not family members.
- Family members’ attendance at SOAR is optional, but encouraged.
- Families should support SOAR staff by discouraging students from missing required SOAR activities.
- Family members are not permitted to attend academic advising and registration activities with their student during SOAR. Relationships between academic advisors and students are essential to their success, and we begin the development of this relationship at SOAR. During two-day programs, family members will learn more about the General Education program, receive information from their student’s advisor, and share their thoughts with their students on Day One before students register for classes on Day Two.
Who is required to attend SOAR?
Select the groups below to learn more about attending SOAR.