SOAR programs are designed to welcome you to your new campus home and help you make a successful transition to Missouri State. SOAR will help you:
- Meet with academic representatives and learn about your academic college.
- Meet with your academic advisor to register for your first semester of classes.
- Become familiar with the university’s culture and public a¬ffairs mission.
- Meet your orientation leaders and other new students in a small group.
- Learn about resources available to you at Missouri State.
We want your first semester at Missouri State to be as successful as possible!
- All first-time students with fewer than 24 transferable credit hours earned after their high school graduation are required to attend SOAR before registering for classes. (Credit earned while concurrently enrolled in high school will not apply to this 24 hour requirement.) Exceptions exist for non-traditional students.
- Students must attend all scheduled SOAR activities in order to register for classes.
- Students attending two-day programs in June and July must stay overnight on campus, regardless of whether they will be residing on campus or commuting to campus their first semester.
- Students—not family members—are expected to complete SOAR Springboard (our online pre-orientation program) and register for a SOAR session.
- Family members’ attendance at SOAR is optional, but encouraged.
- Families should support the efforts of SOAR staff in helping students transition to life at Missouri State and refrain from encouraging students to miss required SOAR activities.
- Family members are not permitted to attend academic advising and registration activities with their student during SOAR. Relationships between academic advisors and students are essential to their success, and we begin the development of this relationship at SOAR. During two-day programs, family members will learn more about the General Education program, receive information from their student’s advisor, and share their thoughts with their students on Day One before students register for classes on Day Two.
Who is required to attend SOAR?
Select the groups below to learn more about attending SOAR.