Steps to Complete a Substitute Certificate
- 1. Application from DESE profile
- 2. Completion of FBI Fingerprinting background check using registration code 2301.
- 3. Submission of original transcripts to DESE showing completion of a minimum of sixty (60) college semester hours.
Before applying for a substitute certificate, ensure that a DESE Online Profile has been created. Once that step is complete, follow the process below to apply for a Substitute Certificate.
5. Write your Educator ID number (located on DESE profile) on the outside of the transcript envelope and mail to: Educator Certification, P.O. Box 480, Jefferson City, MO 65102-0480.
6. You may also attach a document (Microsoft Word, Adobe PDF) that lists your name and educator ID, and the registrar’s office will include the information with your transcript.
This is the ONLY application you will need to complete in order to obtain a substitute certificate. Do not complete any other applications at this time, as they will be returned to you.