Steps to Complete a Substitute Certificate
- Application from DESE profile
- Completion of FBI Fingerprinting background check using registration code 2301.
- Submission of original transcripts to DESE showing completion of a minimum of sixty (60) college semester hours.
Before applying for a substitute certificate, ensure that a DESE Online Profile has been created. Once that step is complete, follow the process below to apply for a Substitute Certificate.
This is the ONLY application you will need to complete in order to obtain a substitute certificate. Do not complete any other applications at this time, as they will be returned to you.
- Log in to DESE Web Applications with user ID and password, then choose the Educator Certification System link located on the User Applications page.
- Find "Applications" in the left menu and choose "Substitute Certificate".
- Complete and submit the Substitute Certificate application choosing "Content Substitute" as the type of application . A processing fee of $50.00 is required which may be paid by credit/debit card.
- Obtain an official paper transcript by logging into My Missouri State. Choose Student -> My Academic Record -> Official Transcript Request. There is a $10.00 charge for your transcript. A transcript can also be obtained by going to the Registrar's office in Carrington Hall, Room 320. DESE will only accept paper transcripts.
- Write your Educator ID number (located on DESE profile) on the outside of the transcript envelope and mail to: Educator Certification, P.O. Box 480, Jefferson City, MO 65102-0480.
- You may also attach a document (Microsoft Word, Adobe PDF) that lists your name and educator ID, and the registrar’s office will include the information with your transcript.