This program allows students with a bachelor's degree to obtain a certificate to teach.
Postbaccalaureate Teacher Certification Program
- The post-baccalaureate teacher certification option is for you if you have a bachelor's
degree and want teacher certification in one of the following areas:
- Early Childhood Education Birth-Grade 3
- Elementary Education Grades 1-6
- Agriculture Grades 9-12
- Teacher certification may be obtained through the post-baccalaureate program or through the Master of Art in Teaching (MAT) program in the following certification areas**:
- Art Grades K-12
- Chinese Grades K-12
- English Grades 9-12
- Family & Consumer Science Grades K-12
- French Grades K-12
- German Grades K-12
- Latin Grades K-12
- Mathematics Grades 9-12
- Middle School Language Arts Grades 5-9
- Middle School Mathematics Grades 5-9
- Middle School Science Grades 5-9
- Middle School Social Studies Grades 5-9
- Music Instrumental Grades K-12
- Music Vocal/Choral Grades K-12
- Physical Education Grades K-12
- Social Science Grades 9-12
- Spanish Grades K-12
- Speech/Theater Grades 9-12
**Science 9-12 (Biology, Chemistry, Earth & Physics) teacher certification can only be obtained through the Master of Art in Teaching (MAT) program.
- If you are not sure whether the MAT program or the post-baccalaureate option is best for you, please call 417-836-5429 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your options. Please leave your phone number and the best time to reach you by phone.
- If you already have your teacher certification in Missouri or any other state, this is not the program for you. Refer to Missouri State’s master programs options.
- Please note: the post-baccalaureate program does not provide options in the following areas. Click on the subject area below to learn how to pursue teacher certification in these areas.
- The post-baccalaureate teacher certification option is for you if you have a bachelor's degree and want teacher certification in one of the following areas:
Although there are some classes that are available online, all of the postbaccalaureate teacher certification programs have at least some seated coursework requirements that must be taken on campus in Springfield, MO. The Elementary Education program also offers seated coursework options in Lebanon, West Plains, Neosho, Cassville or Nevada, MO.
- Apply for postbaccalaureate admission
- Submit your transcripts from prior colleges and universities
To complete the application, submit a final official transcript from every college and university where you have earned credit, with the exception of Missouri State University-Springfield and Missouri State University-West Plains. Please have your transcripts sent directly to our office from your prior universities as they must be official. Transcripts may be sent to:
Missouri State University
Teacher Certification Office
901 S. National Ave.
Springfield, MO 65897
For electronic transcripts, our email is email@example.com
If your transcripts are from a country outside the U.S., those transcripts must be evaluated by a Foreign Credentialing Agency before we can accept them. Once the transcripts have been evaluated, you will need to submit both a copy of the official transcript and a copy of the report from the Credentialing Agency. You must use a Credentialing Agency approved by the State of Missouri. Review the list of approved Credentialing Agencies here.
If you have had transcripts sent to Missouri State University since 01-01-2011, we may have them on file. Please contact the Teacher Certification Office at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be glad to check for you.
- Academic advisor will complete a Transcript Analysis and Individualized Program of Study a.k.a. IPS.
- Student will meet with academic advisor to discuss coursework based on IPS.
- Student will register for coursework based on IPS and advising instructions.
- Student will complete MOVECHS FBI Fingerprinting.
- Student will attempt the MoCA before beginning student teaching. Those interested in any certification area other than Early Childhood Education and Elementary Education are encouraged to attempt the MoCA as soon as possible.
- Student will be aware of upcoming compliance documentation requirements and fees associated with specific courses.