Frequently Asked Questions

What is the difference between IFC, NPHC, and Panhellenic?

IFC is a representative governing body for 15 of the fraternities.

NPHC is the campus coordinating body of historically African-American fraternities and sororities.

PHA is a representative governing body for 9 of the sororities.

What is the difference between national and local sororities?

National sororities are one of many chapters inter/nationally, and have a support system made up of regional volunteers and a headquarters.

Local sororities are chapters that have formed on the Missouri State campus and do not have a national organization.

How many hours a week will I participate in chapter activities?

Joining a fraternity or sorority is a time commitment. The average amount of time you will spend will truly depend on your commitment to your respective chapter.  During your new member period, you will have new member meetings, special programs to attend, and other chapter activities. As an initiated member, the majority of your time will be spent in chapter meetings, studying, attending social activities, playing intramurals, participating in philanthropy events, and doing community service. What’s important to understand is that you get out of it whatever it is that you put into it.

When does NPHC Intake happen?

Each NPHC organization determines when they will hold intake, as approved by their national organization. Each chapter typically holds intake once every one to two years. When a chapter is hosting intake, they will hold informational meetings for you to learn more about their organization and the membership intake process.

How expensive is it to join?

Fraternity dues range from $50 to $100 a month, and the average rent for a fraternity house is $450 a month without a meal plan.

In NPHC fraternities, the cost of membership is much higher in the first semester due to initiation fees paid to the national organization. You can inquire about the cost with each NPHC chapter directly. 

For Panhellenic sororities, a new member can expect to pay between $680-$1,019 their first semester and $415-$975 their second semester.

If I know of a fraternity or sorority and it's not at MSU, can I start it on my own?

Yes, if a student is aware of a fraternity or sorority that is not on our campus they can attempt to start it. Most national organziations have their own guidelines on the process of starting a new chapter on a campus. Typically, once the student has a group of students who are interested in starting that fraternity/sorority on the campus they contact the national headquaters to find information on next steps.

If I don't drink alcohol will I still fit in?

Just because an individual joins a fraternity or sorority does not mean that they must consume alcohol to be a part of the chapter. All chapters are required to register alcoholic events with the university and provide various safety measures to promote the safe and legal use of alcohol. The vast majority of fraternity and sorority events are non-alcoholic. 

Will I be hazed?

Hazing is defined as any action taken or situation created, whether on or off chapter property, to produce mental or physical discomfort, embarrassment, harassment, or ridicule. The fraternity and sorority community at Missouri State, as well as each chapter's inter/national organization, does not condone or tolerate hazing. Chapters that are found responsible for hazing are held accountable through their governing council and/or the Office of Student Conduct.

There are many organizations to get involved with at Missouri State, why should I join Fraternity and Sorority Life?

Missouri State University has more than 20,000 undergraduate students and a large university can be very intimidating.  As a fraternity or sorority member, you will have a close group of friends who can help you adjust to your new life and help to make campus feel smaller right away! Our chapters help members with academics, are made up of some of the most active individuals on campus, and can help you network within the campus community. Fraternity and Sorority Life will help you improve both your time management skills and your leadership skills, which are both very important in college and in the real world. Not only does every chapter have an executive board where new leaders can shine, but there are countless committees and various offices which keep chapter members busy and provide for great experiences.

Who else can I ask questions of?

If you would like to receive more information you can contact the fraternity and sorority advisors, or the Office of Student Engagement which is located in Plaster Student Union Room 127. Caryle Genisio, Assistant Director of FSL, advises Panhellenic and NPHC and her contact number is 417-836-4914. Neil Bourgeois, Coordinator of FSL, advises IFC and Sigma Lambda Gamma and his contact number is 417-836-6499.