Missouri State University uses the foreign language placement exam to help determine your level of skill in a specific language and your potential to succeed in a specific course.
We recommend that you take the exam before attending your SOAR session.
The exam evaluates your proficiency in the following languages:
Your placement exam results are good for as long as you remain an undergraduate student at Missouri State.
Who should take the exam?
The foreign language placement exam is not required of any incoming students.
However, we recommend students take the exam if:
- They studied a language in high school (without receiving dual credit).
- They were exposed to a language other than English in their homes.
Who should NOT take the exam?
Students should not take the online exam if:
- They have no prior experience in a language. You can enroll in a 101-level course in your desired language to begin.
- They have transfer credit (including dual credit) in a language course. You can simply enroll in the next course in the sequence to continue.
- They are native speakers. Contact the modern and classical languages department to arrange for a proficiency assessment with a faculty member.
- They wish to study a language other than Chinese, French, German, or Spanish. Contact the modern and classical languages department to arrange for a proficiency assessment with a faculty member.
The computerized exam is offered online and can be taken at any time. It typically takes about 30 minutes to complete, and your results will be available at the conclusion of the test.
The exam uses multiple choice questions to evaluate knowledge of grammar and reading comprehension.
Taking the exam
Follow the steps below to take the foreign language placement exam:
- Visit the modern and classical language department's placement exam page.
- Read the tips for the exam, then select the link for the exam.
- Create an account. Input your BearPass number in the Student ID field.
- Select the Take Test button under the language you wish to test.
- Answer the test questions in the allotted time.
Your results will appear at the conclusion of the exam. You can also view your placement scores in My Missouri State:
- Log in to My Missouri State
- Go to the Registration tab
- Browse the My Student Records channel
- Select the Test Scores link
If you are unhappy with your scores, you may apply to the head of the modern and classical languages department for written permission to take the exam again in a supervised setting.