Admission to the Master of Accountancy program is granted to graduates of accredited colleges and universities who fulfill the following provisions:
To apply for admission, go to the Graduate College website and apply online.
High standards of professional conduct are required for admission to the accounting profession and to obtain and retain professional accounting certifications (CPA, CMA, CIA, CFE, etc). Prospective graduate students who have been assigned a grade of XF (failure due to academic dishonestly) at Missouri State University (MSU), or the equivalent at another institution of higher education, may be denied acceptance to any graduate program offered by the SOA including the Master of Accountancy, and Certificates in Forensic Accounting and Tax Accounting. Students who have been assigned a grade of XF at MSU, or the equivalent at another institution of higher education, are required to inform the SOA Graduate Program Director of such grade at the time of application, even if the X was subsequently removed. Failure to inform the SOA Graduate Program Director of this previous XF or equivalent grade will result in removal from the program. A student assigned a grade of XF while studying toward completion of one or more of the previously listed graduate programs or certificates will be immediately removed from the program(s).
Admission - Traditional MAcc
Admission to the MAcc program is competitive. The student must have received an undergraduate degree from a regionally accredited college or university.
- Overall GPA of at least 3.00 and 3.00 in upper-division accounting courses.
- A competitive score on the GMAT (no other test accepted). Students with a GPA of at least 3.25 from an AACSB accredited school may waive the GMAT requirement.
- Applicants whose native language is not English must submit scores on the internet-based Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). A total score of at least 90 is required, along with the following minimum scores in the component parts:
- Reading: 15;
- Listening: 15;
- Speaking: 18;
- Writing: 17.
- Applicants must have completed appropriate prerequisites as determined by the MAcc Program Director. Normally, recently completed courses that include the study of FASB standards, AICPA Statements on Auditing standards, PCAOB Auditing standards, and IRS code will meet some prerequisite requirements. Applicants who need to complete prerequisite courses must complete them before starting graduate courses.
- Applicants who do not meet the normal admission requirements, but who show an indication of high promise, will be considered for probationary admission.
- All other University and Graduate College requirements for admission to a degree program will also apply.
Applicants who do not meet the normal admission requirements but who show indication of high promise will be considered for probationary admission.
Beginning a new career in accounting
The traditional Master of Accountancy program can accommodate students who do not have an undergraduate accounting background. However, you may be asked to take appropriate prerequisites courses to establish your foundation of business knowledge. These courses will increase the number of hours required to complete the Master of Accountancy degree.
To determine what prerequisite courses may be required, students without accounting degrees should contact the Master of Accountancy program director for a transcript analysis. By completion of the graduate program, you are expected to meet the common body of knowledge requirements of the AACSB. These requirements involve course work in economics, statistics, mathematics, computer information systems, finance, business law, management and marketing that is essentially equivalent to that required of Missouri State undergraduate accounting majors.
Applicants from foreign countries whose native language is not English are required to submit scores on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). Normally, scores of 600 on the paper-based or a comparable score of 253 on the computer-based TOEFL are required for admission.
Note: If you are an international student, we would be happy to assist you in your process of admission. Visit the International Services site for additional information.