Whether you have never swam before or you want to brush up on your swimming stroke, the Aquatic Center is the perfect place to learn! Swimming lessons are available to anyone eligible for an FRC membership and their children. Both group and private lessons are available for adults. Only private lessons, not group lessons, are available for children.
Youth Summer Swimming Lessons
These lessons are open to children age 6-10 who are children or dependents of anyone eligible for an FRC membership.
Levels and Schedule
|This level is for beginner swimmers, ages 6+, who are learning to be comfortable in the water, are unable to float by themselves, or are uncomfortable putting their face in the water.||5:30-6:00pm|
|This level builds upon the skills learned in Learn-to-Swim Level 1. Swimmers should be comfortable in the water and should be able to float by themselves. They will learn fundamentals such as learning and breaking down new strokes.||6:15-6:45pm|
|This level builds upon the skills learned in Learn-to-Swim Level 1 and 2. This level will help with stroke development, breathing techniques, and different kicks.||7:00-7:30pm|
Lessons run June 15-25 on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday evening (8 lessons total).
$40 per participant
These lessons are open to children or dependents of any one eligible for an FRC membership. Proof of FRC membership or eligibility must be shown on the first day of lessons.
Lessons have a small class size, with a maximum of 4 participants per instructor.
How to Register
Click on the green "Online Services" button on the top left of this page, or register in person at the FRC Welcome Desk.
Other Inportant Details
- Parents must remain within viewing distance of the lesson, either directly inside the Aquatic Center or in the observation area on the lower level.
- Arrive at least 10 minutes early on the first night to check in with the swim lessons coordinator.
- Your child is not allowed to play in the pool before or after lessons without you, the parent or guardian, being in the water with them.
- Registration begins 5/13/15.
Student/Employee (Adult) Group Swimming Lessons
Three levels of small group swimming lessons are offered to MSU students and employees:
- Fear of Water: This level is designed for people who are uncomfortable in the water. This level focuses on entering the water safely, submerging underwater, and learning very basic survival skills such as the back float. This level does not practice in deep water, and skills are introduced very gradually. This class meets M/W 5:30-6:00pm from February 2-March 4.
- Beginner: The beginner course focuses on the basic fundamentals of swimming, including the back float, treading water and simple swimming strokes. This class meets M/W 6:15-6:45pm, from February 2-March 4.
- Intermediate: The intermediate class focuses on refining the skills learned in the beginner course, working on rotary breathing, and lap swimming techniques. This class meets M/W 7:00-7:30pm, from February 2-March 4.
Anyone 18+ who has or is eligible for an FRC membership
Class Length & Frequency
30 min., twice per week
Spring 2015 Schedule
Registration Deadline: January 29, 2015
Program Meeting Dates: Mondays and Wednesdays from February 2nd to March 4th (no class on February 16)
Fear of Water: 5:30-6:00p.m.
Private and semi-private swimming lessons
The Bill R. Foster and Family Recreation Center offers private swim lessons for adults and children year-round.
Private lessons are designed for the swimmer who need 1-on-1 instruction. Lessons are scheduled at a time that works best for the participant, facility, and the instructor.
Lessons can be purchased in packages of 2 or 5 sessions at a time.
|Lesson||Member Rate||*Non-Member Rate|
|Block of 2 lessons||$40||$50|
|Block of 5 lessons||$90||$100|
|Extra child (per lesson)||$10||$10|
*All participants (or their parents) must be eligible for an FRC membership. Please view our membership page to see if you are eligible.
Contact the aquatics office for more information or to set up your lessons.