Steps to Obtain a Substitute Certificate
- Complete Substitute Certificate application from DESE profile
- Complete a DESE FBI Fingerprinting background check using registration code 2301.
- Submit original transcripts to DESE showing completion of a minimum of sixty (60) college semester hours.
Before applying for a substitute certificate, ensure that a DESE Online Profile has been created. Once that step is complete, follow the process below to apply for a Substitute Certificate.
This is the ONLY application you will need to complete in order to obtain a substitute certificate. Do not complete any other applications at this time, as they will be returned to you.
- Log in to DESE Web Applications with user ID and password, then choose the Educator Certification System link located on the User Applications page.
Find "Applications" in the left menu and choose "Substitute Certificate".
- Complete and submit the Substitute Certificate application choosing "Content Substitute" as the type of application . A processing fee of $50.00 is required which may be paid by credit/debit card.
- Obtain an official paper transcript
- The Registrar's Office will mail a paper transcript to DESE (Department of Elementary and Secondary Education) by following these instructions.
- Another method is to log into My Missouri State. Choose Student -> My Academic Record -> Official Transcript Request OR access Transcripts through the Office of the Registrar.
- There is a $10.00 charge for the transcript. A transcript can also be obtained by going to the Registrar's office in Carrington Hall, Room 320. DESE will only accept paper transcripts.
- It is essential that the Educator ID number (located on DESE profile) be written on the outside of the transcript envelope. This will expedite the issuance of the Substitute Certificate process. Mail paper transcripts to: Educator Certification, P.O. Box 480, Jefferson City, MO 65102-0480.
- A Microsoft Word or Adobe PDF that lists your name and Educator ID may be attached to the transcript request, and the Registrar’s Office will include the information with your transcript.