Cancelling your Aid or Withdrawing from School

Cancelling your financial aid

Complete and submit the Aid Cancellation Request Form to cancel your aid.

NOTE: Students cannot complete and submit the cancellation form to cancel a Parent PLUS loan; only the parent applying for the loan may cancel the loan.

Strong Hall

Withdrawing from school

If you withdraw from the University before completing at least 60 percent of the semester, federal regulations require that the “unearned” portion of any federal financial aid received be returned to the appropriate federal aid source.

For example, a student who withdraws at the end of the fourth week of a semester will have “earned” approximately 25 percent of his/her aid. The remaining 75 percent must be repaid. Federal rules specify that repayment first apply toward federal loans, then federal grants. The return of state aid also follows federal regulations.

If you withdraw before the first day of classes, 100 percent of aid received must be returned to the appropriate source. If you withdraw at any point in the semester and the University determines that you never attended classes, 100 percent of the aid received must be returned and University charges may be incurred.

The withdrawal process

At the time withdrawal documents are submitted, you will be counseled about potential repayment obligations. You will also be formally notified in writing of the amounts to be repaid and who is responsible for making the payment.

Depending on the withdrawal date, you may incur charges from the University, which is your responsibility to repay. The unearned portion of financial aid that must be repaid has no relationship to any refund of required fees or housing charges that might be credited to your account based on the date of withdrawal.

Missouri State University Walkway

Repaying your financial aid

Repayment of federal grant funds must be made to Missouri State University within 45 days of notification. If payment is not made, you will need to establish a repayment plan with the federal Department of Education. Eligibility for additional aid is dependent upon the student repaying the grant(s) in full or abiding by the repayment plan.

Loan funds are repaid in accordance with the terms and conditions of the promissory note.

World Flags

Failing grades

If you do not officially withdraw and fail to earn a passing grade in at least one enrolled course during the semester, the office of student financial aid will verify if the failing grades were earned or were the result of nonattendance.

If non-attendance is determined, the “unearned” calculation will be applied based on the last date of a documented academically related activity or the mid-point of the semester.

Visit the online undergraduate catalog for more information on the University withdrawal procedure.

Student Studying on Bench