Dr. Puneet Prakash
Finance and Risk Management
Dr. Puneet Prakash is professor in the finance and risk management department at Missouri State University. He also holds the Baker Chair of Risk Management and Insurance. He has MS and MBA (IB) degrees from India, where he worked with Indian Airlines Limited in its supply chain management department before moving to the U.S. for his PhD in Risk Management and Insurance (RMI) from Georgia State University, Atlanta.
An avid researcher, Prakash has several top-notch publications to his credit, including Academy of Management Journal, Journal of Risk and Insurance, Journal of International Money and Finance, and Journal of Risk Finance. Some of his technical research has appeared in engineering journals. Prakash is a member of the International Council for the Industry Association RIMS (Risk Management Society).
Prakash has taught a variety of courses in the risk management, insurance, finance and financial engineering areas. He also spearheads the Quantitative Enterprise Risk Management (QERM) certificate program at the university. In his current position as the Baker chair, he is the point of contact for the RMI program at Missouri State.
- PhD, Risk Management and Insurance, 2005, Georgia State University
- Principles of Risk Management and Insurance
- American Risk and Insurance Association
- Financial Management Association
- The Risk and Insurance Management Society
Research and professional interests
- Risk models
- Value of risk management
- Seasoned equity offerings
- Disclosing functional value of customer ownership: Analysis of mutual insurers’ annual reports, with Talonen, H., Talonen A., Stenvall, J., accepted at International Journal of Management Practice, Sept. 13, 2021.
- Prakash, P., Sangwan, V. and Singh, K., 2021. Transformational Approach to Analytical Value-at-Risk for near Normal Distributions. Journal of Risk and Financial Management, 14(2), p.51.
- Paruchuri, S., Han, J.H. and Prakash, P., 2021. Salient expectations? Incongruence across capability and integrity signals and investor reactions to organizational misconduct. Academy of Management Journal, 64(2), pp.562-586.
- Prakash, P and Rangan, N.K., 2020. Standards, Reputational Costs and Market Share: Empirical Evidence from the Credit Rating Industry (Invited article). Journal of Accounting and Finance, 20(3), 37-63.
Awards and honors
- Recipient of Outstanding Empirical Paper, College of Business, 2020
- Recipient of summer research grants
- Recipient of the Kornblau Real Estate Center research grant
Area of expertiseBusiness
Expert Advice on How to Get the Best Car Insurance
Insurance expert Dr. Puneet Prakash offers insights about car insurance.
2019’s Best Cheap Car Insurance in Missouri
Insurance expert Dr. Puneet Prakash explains about auto Insurance rates in Missouri.