Steps to Obtain a Substitute Certificate
- Before applying for a substitute certificate, ensure that a DESE Online Profile has been created. Once that step is complete, follow the process below to apply for a Substitute Certificate.
- Log in to DESE Web Applications with user ID and password, then choose "Educator Certification System".
- Find "Applications" in the left menu and choose "Substitute Certificate". Complete the Substitute Certificate application from the DESE profile choosing "Content Substitute" as the type of application . A processing fee of $50.00 is required which may be paid by credit/debit card. Additional information from the DESE website can be accessed through Substitute Certification Application Procedure.
- Obtain a DESE FBI Fingerprinting background check using registration code 2301.
- Obtain original transcripts from ALL institutions attended.
- Log into My Missouri State. Select Student > My Academic Record > Official Transcript Request
- Transcript Ordering Site - Select "Access the Transcript Ordering Site"
- Available Credentials - Select "Transcript Mailed". Select "Order"
- Set Delivery Destination - Select "I'm sending to myself or another individual" at the bottom of the page, then select "I am sending this order to another individual"
- Set Delivery Destination continued - Complete cells under "Recipient Information" as follows: Educator Certification, PO Box 480, Jefferson City, MO 65102-0480. Select "Continue"
- Items Details - For "Purpose", select "Other" from pull down menu.
- Choose Shipping Method from pull down menu.
- Select "Add An Attachment" after creating a WORD document with full name and Educator ID number (found on your DESE profile).
- Complete "Signature" and payment. There is a $10.00 charge for the transcript.
- NOTE: A Parchment account may need to be created as part of the transcript ordering process.
- A transcript may also be obtained by going to the Registrar's office in Carrington Hall, Room 320.
The Substitute Certificate application is the only application needed in order to obtain a substitute certificate. Do not complete any other applications at this time, as they will be returned.