Invest in your future, expand your knowledge. With a master's degree from Missouri State University, you can grow your career opportunities and earning potential.
We make every effort to keep program costs reasonable. Review your financial resources carefully and anticipate expenses realistically.
Due to the rigorous nature of the curriculum, you should not expect to be employed during the program. If you choose to work, it must not cause you to miss class attendance, clinical rotation schedules or required program events. Doing so may result in unexcused absences, which may be grounds for academic penalties and/or dismissal from the program.
|Student service fees||$2,496||$2,496|
|Confirmation deposit (applied toward tuition)||$500||$500|
|AAPA membership ($75 per year)||$150|
|MOAPA membership ($20 per year)||$40|
|SAAAPA membership ($50 per year)||$100|
|Lab coats (two)||$100|
|National certifying exam||$475|
|Tuition and fees||$42,130||$64,623|
|Other program costs and expenses||$4,370||$4,370|
- Books: The cost of books is estimated to be $500 over the course of the two-year program.
- Medical equipment: The PA Program purchases the following medical equipment for the students in the didactic year: stethoscope, reflex hammer, tuning forks, tape measure, vision screening card, blood pressure cuff, and EKG calipers. An oto-ophthalmoscope diagnostic set is not required by the program, however a student may choose to purchase this at their own expense.
- Online medical resource subscriptions: In 2019, students will be provided with a subscription to Access Medicine, a comprehensive medical resource that contains many textbooks and modules for healthcare students. Other online resources, such as UpToDate, Epocrates, Monthly Prescribing Resource (MPR) and Lab Tests Online, are optional.
- Health insurance: Health insurance that includes hospitalization coverage is required for both years of the program; cost varies by insurance company and policy. All applicants should review their current or anticipated policies.
- Liability insurance: All students are required to carry professional liability insurance throughout the duration of the program. This insurance is available through the American Academy of Physician Assistants and is free to students with membership.
- Background check and drug screening: Students are required to initiate and pay for background checks and drug screenings. Additional information will be provided by the Program.
- Computer/internet access: Students are expected to have an iPad for seated class and at home with access to the Internet. The curriculum incorporates computer-assisted instruction, so your device must be able to interface with the Missouri State University email system and download program instructional materials from the program’s website. Specifications for device requirements are an iPad (6th Generation or higher) and an Apple Pencil. These can be purchased at the Missouri State Bookstore for a student discounted price.
- Campus parking: A commuter parking permit costs approximately $121 per year.
- Transportation and commuting: Reliable transportation is required of all students. All students will likely have several clinical rotations which will require commuting; this includes areas outside the Springfield metropolitan area. For safety reasons, students will typically not be asked to commute more than 60 miles (one way) or one hour to the city in which the clinic is located.
- Confirmation deposit: Students who are offered admission to the program are required to pay a $500 non-refundable confirmation deposit to hold a place in the program. This deposit is to be paid by the deadline indicated in the acceptance letter. The confirmation deposit will be applied to tuition, fees or any other student financial obligation during the student’s first term of enrollment (following the end of the first week of the first semester). Failure to pay the confirmation deposit by the deadline stated in the acceptance letter forfeits the student’s position in the program.
- Professional memberships: The PA Program purchases professional memberships in the following organizations for students during the Program: American Academy of Physician Assistants (AAPA) and Missouri Academy of Physician Assistants (MOAPA). Membership in the Student Association of the American Academy of Physician Assistants (SAAAPA) is required at an estimated $50 for the duration of the Program.
- Distant rotations: All students should anticipate that up to three of their assigned clinical rotations will occur outside of the Springfield area and will require living in "off-campus" housing. At some distant rotations, housing will be provided by the program (Tahlequah, OK, Superior, NB, Aurora, MO, and Joplin, MO). At all other distant sites, students will be responsible for providing their own housing.
- Professional attire: Professional attire is expected. The Program will purchase one short white lab coat for each student.
- National certification exam fee: The fee for the national certification examination (PANCE), following graduation, is $475.
- Other miscellaneous expenses may include living expenses, child care and any other personal expenses you may require as you complete the program.
Actual costs may vary
The figures provided are estimates for planning purposes only and are subject to change. These estimates do not represent your final cost at Missouri State; actual expenses vary by student, based on credit hours, academic program, lifestyle and other factors.
For official tuition rates, per credit hour costs or fee explanations, please refer to the detailed tuition and fees.