All nursing students are required to maintain CPR certification. Before paying for a BLS hands-on skills check at Missouri State, please scroll down to the Current Skill Certification Schedule to see if any classes are being offered.
CPR Policy and Information
Requirements for Basic Life Support
You must complete the American Heart Association course that includes adult, child and infant CPR, mouth-to-mask ventilation and AED training for Basic Life Support (BLS). This class is appropriate for those working in the healthcare field only and is not suitable for those working in other professions.
Upon successful completion, each participant will receive a BLS course completion card that is current for two years.
On-campus appointments will be skills testing only. You must complete the online AHA course prior to registering for the hands-on skills testing in the School of Nursing. The AHA online didactic CPR course is required whether recertifying or new to CPR. For those new to CPR, 30 minutes is spent in practice and 60 minutes in the hands-on testing, for a total of one and a half hours.
Follow these steps
- Complete the online BLS course. The course has a $28.50 fee paid to AHA. Upon a passing test, print the certificate, which is valid for only 60 days. You must bring this certificate to the hands-on skills testing.
- Schedule a face-to-face, hands-on practice session with a BLS instructor by calling the School of Nursing. This session allows you to practice the physical skills learned in the online course, ask questions and receive instruction prior to the skills testing. This may not be completed online.
If this is your first time with CPR certification, will must complete the 30-minute practice session BEFORE the hands-on skills testing. Failure to arrive for the practice session will result in students losing their place in class.
Students recertifying do not need to arrive 30 minutes prior to their scheduled hands-on skills testing.
- Complete your skills testing. A BLS instructor will test your CPR skills. Upon passing, your CPR card will be ordered and you will receive it via e-mail. The hands-on skills testing has a fee of $35. Pay online now. Payment is required before registration. No refunds will be given.
The CPR card is an additional cost of $3. This must be paid in cash and in exact change. We must receive payment no later than noon on the day of testing.
- Bring or send a copy of your CPR card to the School of Nursing. We do not automatically receive this information. This is required for nursing students and pre-nursing students who are applying to the BSN program.
Current skill certification schedule
Appointments are in 40-minute increments for recertification and 60-minute increments for new certifications.
- No classes scheduled currently. Please watch this site for next offered CPR classes.