Members of SYWE are selected by audition only.
Who can audition?
Membership in SYWE is open to all wind and percussion musicians age 14 through 19 years, grades 9-12.
Where are auditions?
Students may audition live on campus, or by submitting a recording. All auditions are evaluated by the same adjudicator to ensure fairness.
Live auditions will occur Monday and Tuesday, November 27-28, 2017 from 4:30-9:00pm; your audition will last 5-10 minutes. You may request an audition date and time by emailing Amy Perkins (AmyPerkins@missouristate.edu). In order to audition on campus, you should register by Monday, November 20, 2017.
How do I submit a recorded audition?
Recorded auditions will be accepted from November 1 to November 28, 2017.
A recorded audition can be submitted as an uploaded video, or recorded and e-mailed as an mp3 file (not .wav or other format, please). Submissions must be received before 11:59 PM on November 28, 2017.
Suggestions for Submitting a Recorded Audition
- Record the audition in a large room, like your high school band room, rather than in your bedroom at home
- Be careful not to place the microphone too close to your instrument
- Before you play, state your name and instrument on the recording
- Listen to the recording before you send it to be sure everything recorded correctly
- Ask your private lesson teacher or band director for help!
What should I play?
All students will audition on 2017-2018 Missouri All-State Band Audition set, which is Set II.
When will I find out if I made SYWE?
Students will be notified by e-mail of audition results no later than December 8, 2017. Audition results will also be posted on the SAWYE page of the MSU Pride Bands website.
2017-18 FEES and TUITION
- Tuition for participation in the 2017-2018 SAYWE - $250
- A non-refundable deposit of $100 is due with the SAYWE Commitment Form upon acceptance, full tuition is due by January 30.
Policies for Participation
- The applicant and the parent(s)/guardian(s) agree all decisions concerning placement and participation in the SYWE program are at the sole discretion of the artistic staff and their decisions are final.
- Students accepted into SYWE must be enrolled as regular members of their school band if one exists. All students will be required to obtain the signature of their band director to verify their participation in their school’s instrumental program. (This policy does not apply to homeschooled students or students whose school does not have an instrumental program for their instrument.)