Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What is the Bachelor of Science in Modern Language?

A: The Bachelor of Science in Modern Language (BSML) is Missouri State’s new undergraduate degree program for students wishing to major in:

  • Chinese
  • French
  • German
  • Japanese
  • Spanish

Students completing the BSML attain advanced proficiency in at least one modern language and acquire the ability to understand cultural factors that affect how members of other language communities express themselves and view the world, to analyze and interpret target-language texts and other cultural products, and to apply those insights and skills in a variety of professional and academic settings.

Q: Can I still study French, German, or Spanish?

A: You can still study French, German, or Spanish. Your diploma and transcript will show a major of Modern Language. However, your choice of language(s) will be easy to see based on your course prefixes and titles you studied as found on your academic transcript.

Q: What is happening to the BA, BS, and BSED programs in French, German, or Spanish?

A: The Department has discontinued those programs. If you want to major in a modern language, you should declare the BS in Modern Language as your major.

Q: Why are there two versions of the BSML – Comprehensive and Non-comprehensive?

A: We wanted to our new modern language major to be as flexible as possible. All BSML majors complete a 39-hour language core, including 33 hours in a single modern language. But here’s how the two programs differ:

  • BSML (Comprehensive) – No minor required. Instead, students complete one of the four pre-defined options designed to complement their language study:
    • Second Language and Culture
    • Translation
    • Applied Business
    • Teacher Certification
  • BSML (Non-comprehensive) – Minor required. Students not interested in one of the pre-defined options offered under the Comprehensive degree should choose this program, which requires them to complete a minor or a second major.

Q: Can I still pursue teacher certification in French, German, or Spanish?

A: Yes, you can, and demand is high in Missouri for certified language teachers. So if your goal is to teach at the K-12 level, just choose BSML (Comprehensive) as your major and complete Option 4 - Teacher Certification. This certification pathway replaces our former BSED programs.

Q: What if I was already doing a BA, BS, or BSED in French, German, or Spanish?

A: If you declared a BA, BS, or BSED in French, German, or Spanish prior to the summer of 2014 you retain that major and still must meet its requirements. In other words, you have been "grandfathered" in under those requirements, even though those programs are no longer offered.

Q: Can I switch over to the new BSML program?

A: Yes. Just contact the Office of the Registrar to declare your new major. Then meet with an LCR advisor in your language concentration area to generate an advised course list.

Q: Who determines what language courses I should take to fulfill the 33-hour requirement?

A: You do, in consultation with an LCR advisor. An advisor in your chosen language concentration area will help you to select 33 hours in coursework beyond the 102 level in a single modern language. The advisor will draft an updateable list of courses you must complete to meet the requirement.

Q: What about placement into language classes? How do I know which class to take first?

A: The Department has established a placement policy that awards credit on the basis of prior language study and demonstrated proficiency and helps students place into the most-appropriate initial level, saving them time and money.

Q: Can I count toward the BSML courses taken abroad or at other institutions?

A: Of course. The Department encourages students to study abroad and welcomes transfer credits from accredited U.S. and foreign institutions. The university places some restrictions on transfer credit (including education abroad transfer hours), so be sure to meet with an advisor in LCR or with the department head to discuss your plans. The Department’s education abroad transfer policy is available online.