Academic Advising in the Honors College

Honors College students who have declared an academic major program are assigned to a faculty advisor in their home department. This advisor is the first point of contact for information on major requirements, developmental opportunities specific to the field of study, and advice on graduate study or career plans.

Students who have not yet declared a major are advised by the professional staff in the Honors College:

  • Scott Handley, Assistant Director of the Honors College
  • Emma Bishop, Graduate Assistant for the Honors College and an Honors College alumna (Class of 2021).

All students are welcome to contact the Honors College for general academic advice, information on campus resources, or for assistance with the transition to university life and academic success.

Students may also complete a variety of tasks in the Honors College office, including:

  • Declare/Change Major/Minor;
  • Request Permission for a Registration/Course Overload (permission for 18+ credits);
  • Request Permission to Extend the Timeline for Completing Honors Requirements;
  • Register for an Experiential Learning course;
  • Submit a Distinction in the Major proposal form.

Students who have completed fewer than 75 credit hours must visit their advisor at least once per semester for registration clearance. We suggest continuing to work with your advisor until you graduate in order to take full advantage of his/her professional expertise.

Students may make advising appointments with Honors College staff members by calling Emily Wright, Administrative Assistant II, at 417-836-6370. Students may also walk-in for appointments anytime that an advisor is available.

Students may make advising appointments with faculty members by contacting the academic major department or by calling the faculty member at his/her office. All faculty members keep regular office hours throughout the academic year.