Missouri State University

Consumer Information Annual Notice

August 2013


Equity in Athletics Disclosure Act Report

This annual report contains participation rates, financial support, and other information on men’s and women’s intercollegiate athletic programs and is available through the Associate Director of Athletic Services, 309 Hammons Student Center, Missouri State University, (417) 836-5246, or online at:


Graduation Rates for Student Athletes

This information must be provided to student athletes, their parents, high school coaches, and guidance counselors when an athletically-related student aid offer is made.  This includes the Federal Graduation Rates (FGR) and Graduation Success Rates (GSR).  The NCAA provides this information directly to high schools.  It is also available from the Associate Director of Athletic Services, 309 Hammons Student Center, Missouri State University, (417) 836-5246, or online at:

 http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/newmedia/public/rates/index.html or http://www.missouristatebears.com/ot/mosu-ncaa-fed-reporting.html 


The following university officials may be contacted to assist enrolled or prospective students with the following:

Financial Assistance Information:  Director, Office of Student Financial Aid, 101 Carrington Hall, Missouri State University,

(417) 836-5262. 

Institutional Information:  Office of the Provost, 209 Carrington Hall, Missouri State University,

(417) 836-4589.

Completion or graduation rates:  Office of the Provost, 209 Carrington Hall, Missouri State University,

(417) 836-4589.

Security policies and crime statistics:  Director, Safety and Transportation, 636 East Elm, Missouri State University,

(417) 836-5509.

Informal complaints and academic concerns: Student Ombudsman, 215 Siceluff Hall, Missouri State University,

(417) 836-5107.


Annual Security (Clery) and Fire Safety Report

The Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is published annually in compliance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act (20 U.S.C. Section 1092(f)). This report includes statistics for the previous three years concerning reported crimes that occurred on-campus; in certain off-campus buildings or property owned or controlled by MSU and on public property within, or immediately adjacent to and accessible from the campus. The report also includes institutional policies concerning campus security, such as those concerning alcohol and other drug use, crime prevention, the reporting of crimes, sexual assault, and other matters; annual fire safety information including the number of fires in residential facilities, any injuries, deaths, or property damage resulting from those fire, and policies/procedures related to fire safety and responses to fires. The Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available at  http://www.missouristate.edu/assets/safetran/Annual_Security_Report_-_2012_Final_Report.pdf. If you would like to receive a hard copy of the Annual Security and Fire Safety Report, you can make a personal request, written request, email or phone request at:

Missouri State University

Department of Safety and Transportation

636 E. Elm

Springfield, Missouri 65897

(417) 836-8870


Emergency Response And Evacuation Procedures

The Emergency Response and Evacuation Plan establishes policies and procedures that will be employed when there exists the potential for an emergency condition, such as severe weather; an emergency situation has or is occurring; or in any situation where it is necessary and beneficial for the operations of MSU to be conducted out of a single location.  In order to ensure the various plans at MSU will work in an emergency situation, MSU participates in drills and exercises that include campus personnel as well as local, county, and state public safety agencies. 


The University has several procedures in place to communicate with faculty, staff, students and media regarding any emergency on campus and has established an emergency mass notification system, known as “Missouri State Alert”, on the Springfield and West Plains campuses.  Complete details about the Emergency Response Plan and the Missouri State Alert System are available from the Director, Safety and Transportation, 636 East Elm, Missouri State University, (417) 836-5509 or can be found at the following web address:  http://www.missouristate.edu/safetran/erp.htm.


Fire Safety Report

The January through December 2010 Fire Safety Report for Missouri State University for traditional residence hall facilities and on-campus apartments documents 0 fires on campus. Of these 0 fires, 0 injuries or deaths occurred. An overview of the fire log     and the full fire safety report is available at: http://reslife.missouristate.edu/assets/reslife/Fire_Safety_Disclosures_2011.pdf.

The Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available at http://www.missouristate.edu/assets/safetran/Annual_Security_Report_-_2012_Final_Report.pdf


Missing Person Policy

In accordance with the Higher Education Act of 2008, all students who reside in on-campus housing may identify an individual who will be contacted by University or law enforcement personnel after it has been determined that the student is missing.  If campus security officials determine that a student for whom a missing person report has been filed has been missing for more than 24 hours, then within the next 24 hours, they must: notify the individual identified by the student to be contacted in this circumstance; notify a parent or guardian if the student is under 18 years old; and notify law enforcement. If at any time foul play is suspected or suspicious circumstances are uncovered, the Dean of Students, Safety and Transportation, and law enforcement officials will be contacted immediately. The complete policy is available from the Office of Residence Life and Services, 104 Hammons Hall, Missouri State University, (417) 836-5536 or on the web at:



Sex Offender Registration and Community Notification

Under provisions of the Jacob Wetterling Crimes Against Children and Sexually Violent Offender Registration Act (Wetterling Act), any person who is required to register under a state sex offender registration program must notify the state when he or she enrolls at an institution of higher education or is employed at such an institution, and must notify the state of any change in enrollment or employment at an institution of higher education.  Sex offender registration information is to be transmitted from each state to the law enforcement entities where the registered sex offenders reside.  In Missouri, the sex offender list is maintained at the county level.   

The Office of Safety and Transportation, 636 East Elm, Missouri State University, (417) 836-5509, has a web page http://www.missouristate.edu/safetran/13012.htm that provides links to the Missouri State Highway Patrol Registry Sex Offenders List, the Greene County Sex Offender List, and the lists of the surrounding counties as they become available.  Members of the University Community who wish to be informed of the identities of registered sex offenders who reside in Greene County or a surrounding county are encouraged to access this information through the Safety and Transportation links.

Prohibition of Discrimination, Harassment and Retaliation

Title IX prohibits discrimination, harassment and retaliation on the basis of sex or gender in employment in, admission to, and participation in, and other matters related to education programs or activities operated by recipients of Federal financial assistance.  Sexual violence is a form of sexual harassment and is sex discrimination prohibited by Title IX.  Sexual violence refers to physical sexual acts perpetrated against a person’s will or where a person is incapable of giving consent due to an intellectual or other disability.  This can include, but is not limited to, rape, sexual battery, and sexual coercion.

Missouri State University prohibits sexual harassment, including sexual violence and sex discrimination.  All complaints of sexual harassment, including sexual violence and sex discrimination, will be investigated pursuant to the Prohibition of Discrimination and Harassment Policy and the Complaint Procedures Policy.  You may obtain a copy of these policies from the Office of Equity and Compliance, Missouri State University, Park Central Office Building, Suite 111, (417) 836-4252, or at the following web addresses:  http://www.missouristate.edu/policy/Op1_02_8_Harassment.htm and http://www.missouristate.edu/policy/Op1_02_2_ComplaintProcedures.htm

The University’s Equity and Diversity policies can be obtained from the Office of Institutional Equity and Compliance, Park Central Office Building, Suite 111, Missouri State University, (417) 836-4252, or at the following web address:




Missouri State University prohibits the unauthorized distribution of copyrighted materials, including the use of peer-to-peer (P2P) networks. (See http://www.missouristate.edu/provost/copyrightpolicy.htm). Members of the University community who use these networks to share copyrighted media files are subject to appropriate disciplinary action or sanction ranging from loss of access to the relevant University services or property (including computing privileges) to dismissal or removal from the University as determined by applicable employment or student disciplinary policies. In addition, unauthorized distribution of copyrighted material, including peer-to-peer file sharing, may subject a student or employee to serious civil and criminal liabilities (e.g., 17 U.S.C. 504, et seq.).

You may obtain applicable policies and more information from the University’s Information Security Officer, 163 Cheek Hall, Missouri State University, (417) 836-5226 or on the web at http://computerservices.missouristate.edu/infosec/73234.htm.  The University Intellectual Property Policies can be found at http://www.missouristate.edu/policy/G3_04_Intellectual_Property.htm.



Missouri State University is committed to providing an accessible and supportive environment for students with disabilities.  Equal access for qualified students with disabilities is an obligation of the University under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.  Missouri State University does not discriminate on the basis of disability against otherwise-qualified individuals in any program, service or activity offered by the University.  Information is available at the Disability Resource Center, 405 Plaster Student Union, Missouri State University, (417) 836-4192  or online at http://www.missouristate.edu/disability/ The University is committed to ensuring that no otherwise-qualified individual with a disability is excluded, denied services, segregated or otherwise treated differently than other individuals because of the absence of auxiliary aids or other appropriate services; however, accommodations cannot result in an undue burden to the University or fundamentally alter the requirements essential to a program of instruction.



Missouri State University’s Alcohol and Drug policy is annually distributed to every employee and student of Missouri State University out of concern for their welfare and in compliance with the Drug Free Schools and Communities Act. Missouri State University is committed to providing a healthy, safe, and learning environment for its students, faculty, staff, and guests.  Abuse of alcohol and other drugs disrupts this environment and interferes with the academic and personal development of the student, and personal and professional development of University employees.  This policy can be found at http://www.missouristate.edu/policy/Op11_01_UniversityAlcoholPolicy.htm; a hard copy can be obtained at the Office of the Dean of Students, 405 Plaster Student Union, Missouri State University, (417) 836-5527. 



The Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords students certain rights with respect to their educational records. They include the right to: 1) inspect and review these records; 2) request an amendment to the records; 3) consent to or restrict disclosures of personally identifiable information in the records; and 4) file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning the University’s alleged failure to comply with FERPA. Copies of the complete policies and procedures for reviewing educational records and requesting an amendment of the records may be obtained from the Office of the Registrar, 320 Carrington Hall, Missouri State University, (417) 836-5520, or from the Office of Registrar’s web site at:




The following information regarding financial aid and its availability to students can be obtained at the Office of Student Financial Aid, 101 Carrington Hall, Missouri State University, (417) 836-5262, and can also be found on their website at http://www.missouristate.edu/FinancialAid.  

Types of aid available                                                                                                Terms and Conditions of Loans

How to apply for financial assistance                                                                 Loan Entrance & Exit Interviews

Contact information for the Office of Student Financial Aid                                        Student Rights & Responsibilities


Eligibility Criteria                                                                                                        Withdrawal and Return of Federal Funds

Disbursement Information                                                                                     Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy

Student Loans                                                                                                               Repeated Courses and Financial Aid Eligibility

Cost of Attendance                                                                                                     1,000 hour limit for Student Employees


Student Loan Forgiveness Opportunities

Borrowers in the Federal Direct Loan program may be eligible for deferred payment provisions for service in the Peace Corps, service under the Domestic Volunteer Service Act of 1973, or comparable service as a volunteer for a tax-exempt organization of demonstrated effectiveness in the field of community service. Details are available from the Office of Student Financial Aid, 101 Carrington Hall, Missouri State University, (417) 836-5262, and can also be found on their website at:




Under regulations developed by the United States Department of Education, colleges and universities are required to report graduation rates to current and prospective students.  The Missouri State University graduation rate report can be obtained from the Office of Enrollment Services, 304 Carrington Hall, Missouri State University, (417) 836-5521, or at the following web address: http://www.missouristate.edu/enrollmentmanagement/gradrates.htm.



               Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA)

Missouri State University’s Board of Governors has designated the University and those components of the University, which transmit health information in electronic form, as a hybrid entity under the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA).  Before or during the first visit by a patient or client to a University Health Care Component (HCC), the HCC must require the person to sign an Acknowledgement that they have received the HCC’s Notice of Privacy Practices.  The University and its HCC must comply with HIPAA unless complying violates other federal or state laws, such as the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).  More information about the University’s HIPAA Policies, Procedures, Forms, Privacy Officers, and Security Officers can be viewed at http://www.privacy.missouristate.edu/hipaa.htm.



Immunization requirements for students entering Missouri State University can be found on the web site for Taylor Health and Wellness Center at http://health.missouristate.edu/services/immunizations.htm.  Copies of CDC articles and other information regarding these requirements are available at Taylor Health and Wellness Center, Missouri State University, (417) 836-4000.



               Academic Programs

Descriptions of academic programs and degree offerings are available from the undergraduate and graduate catalogs (http://www.missouristate.edu/registrar/catalog/default.htm  and http://graduate.missouristate.edu/catalog/) as well as college and departmental websites  (http://www.missouristate.edu/academics/departments.asp). Long-range plans for improving the academic programs of the institution can be found at http://www.missouristate.edu/longrangeplan/, or by contacting the Office of the Provost, 209 Carrington Hall, Missouri State University, (417) 836-4589.



Missouri State University is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) to award baccalaureate, masters, specialist, and doctorate degrees. Special accreditations are also held by units within the university.  Go to http://accreditation.missouristate.edu/ for information on all accreditations and approvals, or contact the Office of the Provost, 209 Carrington Hall, Missouri State University, (417) 836-4589.


Admission Information

Admission requirements for Undergraduate, Graduate, and Transfer students can be found online at http://www.missouristate.edu/futurestudents/applynow.aspx or by contacting the Office of Admissions, 204 Carrington Hall, Missouri State University, (417) 836-5517.





Cooperative Programs

Cooperative Programs available through Missouri State are listed in the undergraduate and graduate catalogs (http://www.missouristate.edu/registrar/catalog/default.htm  and http://graduate.missouristate.edu/catalog/) or information is available through the Office of the Provost, 209 Carrington Hall, Missouri State University, (417) 836-4589.


Student Characteristics/Diversity of the Student Body

Information regarding the percentage of enrolled, full-time students who are male, are female, receive a federal PELL grant, and self-identify as a member of a major racial or ethnic group is available at: http://www.collegeportraits.org/MO/MSU/characteristics



Campus-based courses are taught in classrooms and laboratories on the main campus in Springfield.  Individual buildings are described on the campus map (http://search.missouristate.edu/map/).  Additional information about classroom facilities used by the various academic departments can be found at http://www.missouristate.edu/provost/97863.htm as well as in the undergraduate and graduate catalogs (http://www.missouristate.edu/registrar/catalog/default.htm  and http://graduate.missouristate.edu/catalog/) or is available from the Office of the Provost, 209 Carrington Hall, Missouri State University, (417) 836-4589.



Job and graduate school placement rates for graduates of Missouri State University can be found at http://careercenter.missouristate.edu/assets/careercenter/AnnualReport2011-2012.pdf.  For further information about the rates, contact the Career Center, Missouri State University, 309 Carrington Hall, call 417-836-5636 or email careercenter@missouristate.edu.



Refund policy for Drops and Withdrawals 

Students who drop one or all classes (withdraw) from the University may receive a partial refund of tuition (or a change in their fee assessment if all fees have not been paid) provided they complete the formal drop process by the established deadlines appropriate to the length or delivery method of the class http://ww w.missouristate.edu/registrar/refunds.htm. For more information, see the Change of Schedule (Add/Drop) policy.  Students who are enrolled in the My Payment Plan are responsible for the amount of unpaid fees after the refund or re-assessment.


Housing and Meal Plan Refund Policies

All Student Housing Contracts must be canceled in writing.  A student who has a Student Housing Contract and wishes to cancel the contract before it is active may email the Department of Residence Life, Housing and Dining Services at residencelife@missouristate.edu stating they wish to cancel the contract. Further information and refund deadlines for the deposit may be found at: http://reslife.missouristate.edu/cancelcontract.htm.  A student wishing to cancel their contract after it is active must complete a contract breakage form.  Go to the Residence Life website for more information at http://reslife.missouristate.edu/contractbreakage.htm or contact the Office of Residence Life, Housing and Dining Services, Hammons House 104, Missouri State University, Springfield, MO 65897 (417) 836-5536.


Financial Aid Withdrawal and Refund Policy

If a financial aid recipient withdraws from the university before completing at least 60% of the semester, federal regulations require that the "unearned" portion of any federal financial aid received be returned to the appropriate federal aid source.  For example, a student who withdraws at the end of the fourth week of a semester will have "earned" approximately 25% of their aid (completed 4 weeks of a 16 week semester).  The remaining 75% must be repaid.  Federal rules specify that repayment first apply toward federal loans, then federal grants.  The return of state aid follows federal regulations.  For more details, go to http://www.missouristate.edu/registrar/catalog/withdraw.html or contact the Office of Student Financial Aid, 101 Carrington Hall, Missouri State University, (417) 836-5262.



Information regarding Missouri State retention rates of first-year and transfer undergraduate students can be found on the Office of Institutional Research home page, http://www.missouristate.edu/oir/. For information, contact the Office of Institutional Research in 422 Carrington Hall, Missouri State University, (417) 836-5274.



All Missouri State University students possess certain rights and privileges together with corresponding duties and responsibilities. To review the Code of Students Rights and Responsibilities, and for information pertinent to all MSU students, go to the Dean of Students Office website at http://www.missouristate.edu/dos/ or contact the Office of the Dean of Students, 405 Plaster Student Union, Missouri State University, (417) 836-5527. 



For information about Study Away opportunities at Missouri State, visit the Study Away Office at PSU 209 or at the Jim D. Morris Center Office 403, Missouri State University, (417) 836-6368 or see their website at http://international.missouristate.edu/studyaway/.


Financial Aid & Study Away

Missouri State degree seeking students who are studying away may be eligible to use their federal financial aid and/or Missouri State University scholarships for their study away program. In order to use any financial aid or scholarships, you and your program MUST be approved by the Study Away Office.   The Study Away Office works closely with the Office of Financial Aid to make study away opportunities available to all students. Students who have completed a FAFSA should contact the Office of Financial Aid to discuss their aid packages.



Students may withdraw from one or more of their courses online, or in person at the Office of the Registrar, 320 Carrington Hall, Missouri State University (fax to 417-836-8776). Students who drop all their courses for a given semester who wish to return the following semester do not need to apply for readmission. The date the withdrawal is completed online or the date the official withdrawal request form is submitted to the Office of the Registrar (or the postmark date of withdrawal requests submitted by mail) shall be the date used in determining the refund of fees and the assignment of grades. Withdrawals are not allowed after the last day to drop or withdraw deadline for the course. See the "Academic Calendar" on the web for specific deadline dates. For additional important information, see the university procedures on withdrawal from courses online at http://www.missouristate.edu/registrar/catalog/withdraw.html    Students should contact their academic advisor with questions about the academic impact of their withdrawal.



As a Templeton Foundation Public Affairs Institution, Missouri State University strongly encourages students to vote.  If you wish to have a Greene County voter registration form mailed to you, you may call 836-5527.  You may also register at any of the following locations on campus:

Dean of Students Office, Plaster Student Union 405

Meyer Library, Reference and Government Information Desk


If you would like to register in another county or state, please contact the county court house in that county.  They can provide information on registration procedures.  You may also contact the Elections Office for the State of Missouri:


(573) 751-2301 (Voice)
(800) NOW-VOTE (669-8683)
(573) 526-3242 (Fax)



If you are registered in another county and wish to vote by absentee ballot, be sure to request a ballot from the county clerk in your county in advance of the deadline.  A number of notary publics are available on campus (http://www.missouristate.edu/dos/notaries.htm) to notarize your ballot.