All students pursuing Missouri certification are required to meet a series of Transition Points that will be assessed, evaluated, and monitored throughout the teacher education program with assistance and guidance from faculty. There are five distinct Transition Points students meet from entry to their education program to follow up post graduate training.
Completion of certification requirements is a four-step process. Students who receive a certification recommendation must meet the standards for certification eligibility as outlined below:
- Requirements for Eligibility to Enroll in KIN 200: Before a student can enroll in KIN 200 the following eligibility requirements must be met:
- A combined (Missouri State and transfer) GPA of 2.50 or higher
- Completed COM 115 with a minimum grade of "C" or concurrent enrollment in COM 115.
- Completed KIN 210.
- Completed at least 30 semester hours.
- Family Care Safety Registry report on file prior to any clinical experience placement. Contact College of Education Student Services Office, 200 Hill Hall. A small fee is charged for this report.
- Requirements for Admission to Physical Education Teacher Education (PETE) Program: Students who plan to complete teacher certification requirements must be admitted to the PETE Program. Eligibility is automatically monitored when enrolling in KIN 200. Admission to the PETE Program is required before students are allowed to begin additional courses in the Physical Education Teacher Education component. Student application for admission to the PETE Program is complete when the requirements listed below are satisfied. Note: All of these requirements must be met before students are permitted to enroll in Physical Education Professional Education courses (KIN 411, 431, 440, 468, and 575)
- A combined (both Missouri State and Transfer) GPA of 2.75 or higher
- Passing scores on all four sub-sets of the Missouri General Education Assessment (MoGEA). Refer to the MoGEA website for details.
- Completed COM 115 with a minimum grade of "C"
- Completed KIN 200 with minimum grade of "C"
- Purchased a subscription to Taskstream (comprehensive portfolio system)
- Registration with the Family Care and Safety Registry (FCSR).
- Completed Disposition Checklist and Student Contract
- Complete at least 45 semester hours
Upon completion of the above requirements, a student’s record is reviewed and submitted to the Educator Preparation Provider Council (EPPC) for admission to Teacher Education. A student’s qualifications for continuance in the Teacher Education Program is subject to review and change by the EPPC at any time while the student is enrolled.
- Requirements for Continuance in the PETE Program: In order to progress through the PETE program a student must:
- Maintain a combined (Missouri State and transfer) GPA or 2.75 or higher
- Maintain a combined (Missouri State and transfer) GPA of 3.00 or higher in the major
- Complete Physical Education Professional Education courses with a minimum grade of "C"
- Been admitted to the degree program
- Requirements for Assignment to Supervised Teaching (effective Fall 2017 and after): The criteria used to determine eligibility for Supervised Teaching are outlined below. The student must have:
- Been admitted to the PETE Program and completed Transition Point #1 and Transition Point #2
- A combined GPA of 2.75 or higher for all college level course work completed
- Current and valid TB test
- Current and valid Liability Insurance
- Current and valid Family Care and Safety Registry (FCSR) and FBI Background checks
- Completed at least 15 hours at Missouri State
- Completed all courses in the major with a combined (Missouri State and Transfer) GPA of 3.00 or higher
- Completed all Physical Education Professional Education courses with a minimum grade of "C"
- Recommendation of student's advisor
- Recommendation of Department of Kinesiology
Additional supplemental course fees are assessed for supervised teaching.
- Requirements for Certification Recommendation (effective Fall 2017 and after): To be recommended for an initial Missouri teaching certification the student must have:
- Successfully completed Supervised Teaching
- Met all Missouri teacher certification requirements which are in effect at time of certification
- A combined (Missouri State and transfer) GPA of 2.75 or higher
- Completed all professional education courses with a combined (Missouri State and transfer) GPA of 3.00 or higher and no grade lower than "C".
- A combined (Missouri State and transfer) GPA of 3.00 or higher in the certificate subject area (major)
- Successful completion of Missouri Educator Gateway Assessments (MEGA) as established by the Missouri Board of Education. Refer to the MEGA website for details.
- Completed Transition Point #3
The Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education will require in FBI background check prior to issuing a certificate.