How to Declare or Change a Major, Minor or Certificate

For students interested in declaring or changing a major, it is recommended to first visit the department of the major to learn more about the program and any specific admission requirements.

Once plans are confirmed to declare or change a major, students can contact the Academic Advising and Transfer Center by one of the following methods to have the change processed.

Online Request (preferred method)

  • Students must be logged in (and authenticated) to their Office 365 account.
  • Students may request multiple changes within the form. The questions address majors, minors, and certificates (in that order).
  • New first-year students who have not yet registered for classes or attended their SOAR session must contact the Office of Admissions (417-836-5517) for major changes.
  • Students wishing to declare a minor in the College of Business must contact the Business Advisement Center in Glass 276.
  • Graduate students wishing to add or change a Graduate program or certificate should contact the Graduate College (417-836-5331, Carrington Hall 306).


Scan the QR code for direct access to the online form on a device.  Must be logged in and authenticated on your device to access the form.

QR code link for Online Major Change request form



Students can contact the Academic Advising and Transfer Center by email at using their MSU student Bearmail account.

  • Email requests must include the student's M-number.
  • The student should be very specific whether they are requesting an additional major/minor/certificate or are wishing to replace their existing programs.
  • If adding a major that has options, the student should include the name of the option they wish to pursue.


If unable to email, students may visit the Academic Advising and Transfer Center:

University Hall, Room 109
Monday - Friday
8:00 AM - 5:00 PM

Review Policy Library for declaring or changing a major