MINUTES OF THE BOARD OF GOVERNORS’
PROGRAMS AND PLANNING COMMITTEE
MISSOURI STATE UNIVERSITY
THURSDAY, MARCH 23, 2017, 12:30 P.M.
HOTEL SORELLA, MCCOY AB CONFERENCE ROOM, KANSAS CITY, MISSOURI
Mr. Kendall Seal, Committee Chair
Mr. Joe Carmichael, Committee Member
Mr. Tyree Davis, Committee Member
Ms. Virginia Fry, Committee Member
Mr. Gabriel Gore, Committee Member
Mr. Stephen Hoven, Committee Member
Ms. Beverly Miller, Committee Member
Mr. Gregory Spears, Committee Member
Ms. Carrie Tergin, Committee Member
Dr. Peter Hofherr, Committee Member
Mr. Clif Smart, President, Missouri State University
Dr. Jim Baker, Vice President for Research and Economic Development & International Programs
Dr. Drew Bennett, Chancellor, Missouri State University, West Plains
Ms. Donna Christian, Director, Internal Audit and Compliance
Mr. Adam Coffman, President, SGA
Mr. Ryan DeBoef, Chief of Staff and Assistant to the President for Governmental Relations
Ms. Rachael Dockery, General Counsel
Ms. Nicki Donnelson, Assistant Director, Communications
Mr. Brent Dunn, Vice President for University Advancement
Dr. Frank Einhellig, Provost
Mr. Craig Frazier, Board Appointee
Mr. Steve Foucart, Chief Financial Officer
Dr. David Hough, Dean, College of Education
Ms. Heather King, Director of Scholarships
Mr. Kyle Moats, Director of Athletics
Mr. Matt Morris, Vice President for Administrative Services
Mr. Jeff Morrissey, Chief Information Officer
Ms. Andrea Mostyn, Director of University Communications
Mr. Wes Pratt, Chief Diversity Officer and Assistant to the President
Ms. Suzanne Shaw, Vice President for Marketing and Communication
Ms. Carol Silvey, Board Appointee
Dr. Jake Simmons, Assistant Professor, Communications
Mr. Don Simpson, Associate Vice President for Enrollment Management Services
Dr. Dee Siscoe, Vice President for Student Affairs
Dr. Michele Smith, Assistant Vice President for Student Affairs
Ms. Olujimi Sode, Assistant Director of Admissions
Ms. Rowena Stone, Executive Assistant to the President
Mr. Ryan Wilson, Chair, Staff Senate
Ms. Kristan Gochenauer, Secretary to the Board of Governors
Motion passed unanimously.
- Roll Call – Mr. Kendall Seal, Committee Chair, called the Programs and Planning Committee meeting to order at 12:30 p.m. on Thursday, March 23, 2017, at Hotel Sorella, McCoy AB Conference Room, in Kansas City, Missouri.
- Approval of Minutes – Mr. Seal mentioned that the first item of business was the approval of the minutes from the December 15, 2016 meeting. Mr. Gabriel Gore so moved, receiving a second from Mr. Gregory Spears.
- New Business:
- Introductions – President Clif Smart introduced our new Board appointees Mr. Craig Frazier, board member of Springfield Innovation Incorporated and Ms. Carol Silvey, Senior Associate for Advancement at the Community Foundation of the Ozarks.
- Scholarship Program Overview – Mr. Don Simpson stated that there are three important parts of the enrollment management effort to include 1) scholarship programs 2) what is being done in recruitment and 3) access programs. He then introduced Ms. Heather King who gave an overview of the types of scholarships the University provides, pointing out that in FY2016, 65% of the student body received Pell grant funding. Ms. King then discussed the “intentional strategy” or changes to scholarships and requirements since 2010 at the University.
- Update on Diversity Recruitment Initiatives – Mr. Olujimi Sode shared that last year he was tasked with coming up with a plan and creating a guide for recruiting underrepresented students. As a part of his plan, he denoted the importance of knowing our target audience, removing admission barriers and having direct contact with underrepresented students.
- College Access Programs – Dr. Michele Smith shared the underrepresented student profile, which shows an increase in underrepresented students since 2014. Growth is due in part to access programs as well as campus services being provided at the University to include TRIO, peer mentoring, programing/life skills and intrusive counseling.
- Adjournment – Mr. Seal adjourned the Programs and Planning Committee meeting at 2:32 p.m. on the motion of Mr. Stephen Hoven, the second of Mr. Gore, and the unanimous approval of the committee.
Secretary to the Board