Online Testing Help
General guidelines for LockDown Browser
Some courses will require testing with LockDown Browser. LockDown Browser uses your webcam to ensure academic integrity during an online exam. You can also view a guide for getting it installed. Here are some other points to consider:
- Ensure you're in a location where you won't be interrupted.
- Turn off all other devices (e.g. tablets, phones, second computers) and place them outside your reach.
- Clear your desk of all external materials not permitted - books, papers, other devices.
- Before starting the test, know how much time is available, and that you've allotted sufficient time to complete it.
- Remain at your computer for the duration of the test.
- If the computer or networking environment is different than what was used previously with the Webcam Check and System & Network Check in LockDown Browser, run the checks again prior to starting the test.
- Remember that LockDown Browser will prevent you from accessing other websites or application; you will be unable to exit the test until all questions are completed or submitted.
To produce a good webcam video, do the following:
- Avoid wearing baseball caps or hats with brims.
- Ensure your computer or tablet is on a firm surface (desk or table). Do not have the computer on your lap, a bed or other surface where the device (or you) are likely to move.
- If using a built-in webcam, avoid tilting the screen after the webcam setup is complete.
- Take the exam in a well-lit room and avoid backlighting, such as sitting with your back to a window.
Control your environment:
- Make certain the lighting in the room will be consistent so that your face doesn’t go into shadows as the sun moves (making it difficult to see eyes).
- Communicate with others in the general area that you need to be left alone, uninterrupted. Try not to have people walking past you in the background.
- Communicate with others in the general area that the device does monitor voices – so please don’t have talking in the background that the system could pick up and misinterpret.
- Don’t look down to think and try to figure something out – this makes it appear there is something in your lap you might be referring to.