Procedure for Monitoring and Processing FBI Fingerprinting Background Check Findings
The Professional Education Services office processes MOVECHS FBI fingerprinting background checks and verifies the clearance date of DESE FBI background checks. In the event that there is a “finding” on a student’s record, the following procedure will be followed. Students will not be allowed to begin their practicum, internship or student teaching until the procedure is completed and the student has been approved by the program/department to enter or re-enter the classroom.
If the student wishes to challenge the accuracy and completeness of information contained in the finding report, it is the student's responsibility to contact the Missouri State Highway Patrol.
- Compliance Specialist will contact the student, via email, to schedule a meeting to discuss findings procedures.
- Meet with the student:
- Inform student that a DESE profile needs to be created.
- Inform student that notification will be sent to the appropriate departmental personnel that a finding has been received.
- Communicate to the student that continuance in the program is contingent on DESE clearance (FBI fingerprinting background check and Substitute Certificate if student has completed at least 60 hours of college credit) AND departmental approval. Appropriate department personnel will meet with the student after DESE clearance.
- Inform student that a current (less than 1 year) FBI fingerprinting background check is required to apply for a substitute certificate through DESE. If the student has not accrued 60 hours college credit, then the FBI fingerprinting background check will be the only requirement.
- Provide student with instructions for obtaining an FBI fingerprinting background check.
- Provide student with instructions for obtaining a Substitute Certificate.
- Inform student that appropriate program personnel will schedule a meeting after DESE clearance is obtained to discuss the background check finding AND continuance in the program. Approval to continue in the program will be based on DESE clearance and any other program requirements.
- Provide the student a copy of the background check finding.
- In order to obtain DESE clearance and/or continue in the program, the student must complete one of the following procedures to determine eligibility for DESE certification upon completion of their program:
- If the student has been issued a substitute certificate by DESE prior to or since the time of the finding, the student will meet with the appropriate program personnel to discuss the background check finding AND continuance in the program.
- If the student has not been issued a substitute certificate since the time of the finding (or has an expired substitute certificate), and has completed 60 hours of college credit, the student must obtain an FBI background check and apply for (or renew) a substitute certificate. If the substitute certificate is issued, the student will meet with the appropriate program personnel to discuss the background check finding AND continuance in the program.
- If the student has not completed 60 hours of college credit, and is therefore not eligible to apply for a substitute certificate, the student must obtain an FBI background check. The student will meet with the appropriate program personnel to discuss the background check finding AND continuance in the program.
- FBI fingerprinting result is valid for one year and must be renewed upon expiration, if applicable.
Expiration dates of compliance documents can be viewed in My Missouri State -> Registration -> My Student Records -> Test Scores OR by checking your “Educator Certification System” (DESE) profile under "Fingerprint Information".
Professional Education Services - Hill Hall 212
Compliance Documents - Hill Hall 212
Office Hours: 8:00 am – 5:00 pm Monday through Friday
Office: 836-8772 Fax: 417-836-6546