DESE FBI Fingerprinting National Background Check
Missouri State University and school district/agency policies require some students to obtain a national fingerprinting background check through the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). The FBI fingerprinting national background check is required for all students enrolled in a course in which the student will interact with children or other individuals in some capacity. The FBI fingerprinting national background check must be obtained to meet requirements of the course assignment(s). Students required to meet this policy will be notified by the Professional Education Services office.
All Missouri State University teacher education students are required to obtain two (2) FBI national fingerprinting background checks during the program.
- The first background check is the MSU MOVECHS FBI fingerprinting background check and is required for admittance to a teacher education program or at the time of the first practicum of the program. The MOVECHS FBI fingerprinting background check is valid for 3 years, and if still enrolled in courses at the end of three years, will be revalidated for an additional three years at no cost to the student. If not enrolled in courses at the time to revalidate, then the Missouri Highway Patrol requires that the student be automatically opted out. The student will be required to obtain another fingerprinting at student cost upon returning to the university to complete an education program.
- The second background check is the DESE FBI fingerprinting background check and is required for certification – either a Substitute Certificate or Initial Professional Certificate at completion of the program.
All non-certification seeking students within the Missouri State University College of Education are required to obtain the MOVECHS FBI national fingerprinting background check.
DESE FBI Fingerprinting Background Check Information
- A current DESE FBI fingerprinting national background check is required even if students are working on a Provisional, Temporary or Substitute Certificate, or working as a Teacher's Aide. Students must be in compliance with this requirement before their practicum, internship, or student teaching begins. A DESE FBI fingerprinting background check is also required for an Initial Professional Certificate (IPC).
- Note: Some school districts require teacher candidates to obtain an FBI fingerprinting background check using the district’s specific fingerprinting registration code. This fingerprinting is in addition to the MSU fingerprinting requirement and must be met before the school district will allow the teacher candidate to begin student teaching in that school district. All fingerprinting costs will be the responsibility of the teacher candidate.
- Register with the Missouri Automated Criminal History System (MACHS) at www.machs.mo.gov to be fingerprinted through IdentoGO.
- Select “Click here to Register with the Fingerprint Portal".
- Select "Click here to register with MACHS".
- Email ComplianceDocs@MissouriState.edu for the appropriate DESE FBI fingerprinting registration code.
- Once the code is received, enter the fingerprinting registration code, and select "Enter".
- Select "OK" on the pop-up window and verify the ORI name listed. The ORI name should automatically display as Department of Elementary and Secondary Education. If the correct ORI name does not display, verify that the correct 4-digit registration code was entered.
- After ORI name is verified, enter data into the fields provided. When finished, select “Register”.
- Follow screen instructions through completion selecting the Register for Digital Fingerprinting Services option. PLEASE NOTE: Students located out of state should select Fingerprinting Card instead of the digital option since the digital option is not available to non-residents. Follow all instructions to complete the fingerprinting process.
- The cost of a DESE FBI fingerprinting background check is $41.75.
- The fingerprinting result will display on the DESE Educator Certification System profile and can be used for a Substitute Certificate and Initial Professional Certificate.
- Email a screenshot using these guidelines: In order to verify compliance of DESE FBI fingerprinting background check requirements, a full DESE profile screen shot including DESE's logo must be submitted to ComplianceDocs@MissouriState.edu. Start the screen shot at the top of the page with DESE's logo and capture the entire screen to include the fingerprinting background check information. Redact your SSN before emailing.
- When the fingerprinting result is received, it is entered in MSU Test Scores.
- If you have questions, email John Reinert or call 417-836-8772.
Expiration dates of compliance documents can be viewed in My Missouri State -> Registration -> My Student Records -> Test Scores.
What if there is a "Finding" on my background check?