Frequently Asked Questions

I need to see an advisor. What should I do?

You may book an appointment at this website

You may also call or stop by the Business Advisement Center, Glass 276, 417-836-5386 to set up an appointment. All advisement meetings are scheduled on an appointment basis.

What should I do if I am unable to keep a scheduled advisement appointment?

Please call the Business Advisement Center, 417-836-5386 as soon as you know you are going to be unable to keep an appointment. Most advisors are scheduled with back-to-back appointments each day, and there are always other students needing appointments. We would appreciate your cooperation by freeing up schedule times by canceling your appointments when you cannot not meet with your advisor.

How do I declare my major?

To declare your business major, stop by the Business Advisement Center in Glass 276.

What is the difference between "declaring" a major, and being admitted to a degree program?

Declaring a major is simply your declaration that you plan to seek a particular major and degree. When you declare a major, a code representing that degree area is entered on the official computer database. Admission to a degree program occurs when you have completed all requirements for admission to the College of Business, and you complete (with your academic advisor) the official "Application to a Degree Program" form. The College of Business admission requirements include GPA requirements, minimum credit hour requirements, plus completion of a group of preparatory courses. Once you are admitted to a degree program, you will be eligible to enroll in upper-division courses (300+) in the College of Business, and your degree requirements for your major and the business core are "locked" to the catalog in force for that semester.

Why do I have a degree program hold, and what can I do about it?

The University requires students to file the finalized degree program before completion of 75 credit hours. If the degree program is not complete, however, a hold is entered on the student's computer record. This hold prevents the student from registering for subsequent semesters without special permission. This hold process is used to encourage students to gain official admission to their degree programs by the junior year in order to facilitate timely completion of the degree requirements.

Because business majors have rigorous admission requirements, some students may not be able to complete the admission requirements and complete the finalized degree program process before they complete 75 credit hours. These students may continue to register as long as they continue to take the COB preparatory courses as quickly as possible, and obtain permission from their advisor in the Business Advisement Center. To gain clearance to register, the student must make an appointment with his or her advisor, who will give him a "Temporary Clearance" to register each semester until the degree program is finalized. Once the degree program is finalized, the hold is lifted by the student’s advisor.

What is a degree audit and how do I get one?

The University maintains a computerized degree auditing system to assist advisors and students in determining the requirements a student must meet for graduation, and tracking the progress toward completion of the degree. The degree audit also allows for "degree shopping," whereby you may compare your progress toward various degree options (e.g. you could compare your remaining requirements as a Marketing major compared to your remaining requirements as a Psychology major.). Students may view their current degree audit online at Select "BearPass Login" and then login to your account . Choose the "Academics" tab and follow the instructions at the "Degree Audit" link.

How is prerequisite checking carried out in the College of Business? What can I do to avoid prerequisite problems?

Prerequisites are checked and enforced at the time that you register for classes. In other words, the computer will not let you register for courses for which you do not meet the prerequisites. After grades are posted for the current semester, a computer generated report identifies students who have registered for classes for which they have not met prerequisites. At that time, the Business Advisement Center sends an email to your BearMail account. You have about a week to take care of any problems. You should immediately drop the course or courses in question, or notify the Business Advisement Center if you feel you have met the prerequisites. Department heads may make prerequisite exceptions in special circumstances. Contact the head of the department that offers the course to determine if you might be eligible for an exception.

If you are taking a course at another institution and plan to transfer it to Missouri State to meet a specific course prerequisite, you must notify your advisor in the Business Advisement Center so that you will not receive a prerequisite letter and you will not be dropped from your registered classes. You must provide evidence to the Business Advisement Center of successful completion of the prerequisite course before classes begin for the next semester. To have the course officially transferred and recorded on your Missouri State records, you must have an official transcript sent directly from the transfer school to the Admissions Office at Missouri State.

What is AACSB and why is it important to me?

AACSB International is the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business. All of College of Business undergraduate programs in the Business Unit, the MBA program, and the Master of Accountancy program are accredited by AACSB. This combination of accreditations places COB in the top 10 percent of the nation's business programs. AACSB accreditation ensures that students receive a quality education in terms of curriculum, faculty expertise, facilities, technology, etc., and ensures that students have the knowledge and skills necessary to be competitive in the job market. AACSB accreditation is recognized as a mark of quality by both employers and graduate schools.

Many of my transfer courses were accepted at Missouri State as electives. What should I do?

If you feel the course you completed is similar to a Missouri State course, and you need the course to fulfill a specific degree requirement, you may submit an appeal to the head of the department that offers the course to see if it may be re-evaluated.

This appeal may be submitted online and should include: the catalog description from the original college’s course catalog and, if possible, a copy of the syllabus. Any supplementary information such as the title of the textbook used, etc. may also be helpful.

View the Transfer Credit Reevaluation and Preapproval page for more information regarding transfer credit.

What steps do I take to get credit for an internship?

Visit with the departmental office of your major. You may visit the Career Center's office in Glass 276. Visit their website for more information.

Where do I get information about graduate school?

Go to Glass Hall 106 or call 417-836-5616 for information about the Master of Business Administration, the Master of Accountancy, or the Master of Science in Cybersecurity at Missouri State. For information on the Master of Health Administration go the Management Department in Glass 414. If you want information on non-Missouri State graduate schools, you may want to obtain information from the department of your major.

Can I put a class on Pass/Not Pass

Only courses that are electives may be taken on a pass/not-pass basis. Courses toward general education, the major, core, or minor must be taken for a grade. Caution: Prerequisite requirements of other courses may not be met with a course completed on a Pass/Not Pass basis. The decision to take a course on a Pass/Not Pass basis cannot be reversed. See additional restrictions/cautions in the current catalog.

What are the assessment exams I have to take to graduate?

All majors must complete an assessment exam about General Education before graduation. While no minimum score is required in order to "pass" this exam, the exam must be taken before the student can graduate. For more information about this exam, visit the website of the Office of Assessment.

Construction Management majors must complete an exit interview in their Senior Project course.