BGS degrees do not require a minor, because the program is comprehensive.
- Significant coursework from two or three specific departments (minimum 45 hours):
- If three departments, a minimum of 15 hours from each.
- If two departments, a minimum of 21 hours each plus three additional hours in one of the departments to reach the 45 hour minimum.
- At least 18 of these hours must be upper division.
- At least nine of these hours must be 400 level or above.
- The Public Affairs Capstone requirement of one of the specific departments.
- A grade of C or better in all courses used in the BGS areas of emphasis.
- Additional hours to bring the upper division total to at least 40.
- Additional electives to bring the total hours to at least 120.
- All General Baccalaureate Degree requirements except those applying to majors and options and multiple degrees and/or multiple majors.
University level requirements:
How is the BGS degree different from an individualized major?
In the BGS program, you do not have to blend multiple disciplines toward a specific professional or academic goal.
Instead, your coursework may be varied in focus, but must clearly explain how the BGS degree program would be personally beneficial in a way that the traditional degree (BA, BFA, BS, etc.) would not.
Consider the individualized major if you have a specific career or academic goal in mind.