Your Career in Social Work
- Versatility of Jobs: An MSW is one of the most versatile graduate degrees in the helping field.
- Discover social work careers
- Variety of Work in High Demand: Graduates are widely employable and serve diverse populations in a vast range of human areas.
- Work with individuals, families, groups, and communities to provide basic needs and enhance human well-being.
- Leadership: MSW's are leaders in their communities, often taking on roles as independent practitioners, developers and coordinators of policy and research to promote social justice.
- Learn more about social work
Explore our program
Join MSU School of Social Work
Our commitment to our students
Missouri State's Master of Social Work program is dedicated to providing quality education. To meet the needs of students, we offer many courses during the evening, which allows our students to spend their days studying and engaging in community projects. For students who have competing work or family obligations, we also offer a part-time program. Our program has a reputation as a leader in the region, and we have degree paths that serve students throughout southwest Missouri, including cohorts that begin in Joplin and West Plains.
All students engage in intensive field education to integrate Social Work Competencies with supervised experiences at a community agency. Students will have the opportunity to enhance their application of all previous coursework with seminar assignments and activities of the field practice during a practicum seminar course.
"Social work field education consists of a practical experience within a community organization that allows aspiring social workers to impact the wellbeing of individuals, families and communities." -Regina Russell, Field Coordinator
Student-Centered Quality Education
MSU's School of Social Work ensures student-centered quality education that supports students' schedules. For our MSW program, we use a combination of seated, traditional on-line, and zoom technology to support students' education.
Zoom is a cloud-based technology that allows faculty, staff, and students to have high-quality interaction, in real-time, from their computers and mobile devices.
"I enjoy using Zoom technology because it allows students from rural areas of Missouri to participate in class and bring a new perspective to the course." -Ethan Potter, MSW-Regular Full-Time