Online orientation sessions will be delivered in two parts. New students must complete both parts in order to register for classes.
Online Orientation, Part 1
The first part of online orientation is offered on Blackboard, Missouri State's learning management system. This program is designed to familiarize you with the tools and information you'll need to succeed at Missouri State University.
This orientation will take about 1 to 1 1/2 hours to complete. It will be presented in 6 modules covering the following topics:
- Academics and academic advising
- Class registration
- Financial aid and financial services
- Helpful student services
- MSU: A community that cares
- Next steps in preparing for SOAR
Part 1 should be completed at least two business days prior to your scheduled SOAR session date.
Access Part 1 using these steps:
- Login to your My Missouri State account.
- On the Home tab, select the Blackboard Learn link in the Quick Links channel.
- In the Blackboard Learn portal, select the Online Orientation link in the My Courses area.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete Part 1 of your online orientation.
Online Orientation, Part 2
Part 2 of your online orientation will occur using Zoom, a video teleconferencing platform.
Hardware Recommendations for Zoom Meetings
We recommend participating in your SOAR Zoom meeting on a computer—not a phone—so you can share your screen with your advisor.
For the best experience, use a computer that meets the following specifications:
- An Internet connection – broadband wired or wireless (any connection above “dial-up” will probably work fine)
- Speakers and a microphone – built-in or USB plug-in or wireless Bluetooth
- Any 1 Ghz single-core processor or better
- A webcam or HD webcam - built-in or USB plug-in (or, a HD camera or HD camcorder with video capture card)
Joining the SOAR Zoom Meeting
You'll soon be emailed an invitation to attend your scheduled SOAR session date via Zoom. This message, sent to your personal and Missouri State email accounts, will contain a link to the Zoom meeting.
The first time you join a Zoom meeting from a device, you will be required to install a software package that may take a few additional minutes. This installation will connect your account to your electronic device camera and speaker. This installation will only happen the first time on a device.
Welcome to Missouri State University
1:00 p.m. - 1:15 p.m.
Our campus community welcomes you to your new collegiate home!
What’s the Difference?: High School vs. College Life
1:15 p.m. - 1:45 p.m.
SOAR leaders share how to best transition into college life with new students in their SOAR group.
Be Advised: Academic Advisement and General Education
1:45 p.m. - 2:45 p.m.
Academic advisors provide an overview of our General Education program, major and course requirements, and academic opportunities.
Advising and Registration
2:45 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Meet your academic advisor to discuss your goals, then register for classes. You're now officially a Bear!