Out of Area, State, and Country Student Teaching Policies and Procedures
BSED – Approved 4/20/2010
PEC – Approved 5/5/2010
The Professional Education Services office is responsible for the placement of teacher candidates in cooperation with the academic department of the student’s major for all education programs at Missouri State University. The majority of teacher candidates are placed within a 24 county area (see map or list) surrounding Springfield, Missouri. Placements in Missouri, but outside the 24 county area, are considered “Out of Area” such as school districts in the Kansas City and St. Louis areas. Please note: Not all programs allow out of area placement. Programs which allow out of area placement will consider candidates on an individual basis.
It is the responsibility of Missouri State University to provide the highest quality training for teachers who will become certified in the State of Missouri. Missouri State University is required to ensure that all students who complete our education programs have a thorough understanding of Missouri teaching standards.
Out of Area required documents deadlines: September 15th for spring and March 15th for fall.
The Out of Area documents listed below should be submitted to OOA firstname.lastname@example.org or Professional Education Services in Hill Hall 212.
Note: Students approved for Out of Area placement will be assessed an additional student teaching fee. This fee covers additional costs incurred when placing and supervising teacher candidates outside the 24 county area.
Out of Area (Within Missouri) Student Teaching
Placement within the State of Missouri, but outside the 24 county area (see map or list) surrounding Springfield, Missouri, are allowed with approval of the content area department and completion of the list of documents below. *Out of Area Internship Academy students are not required to submit the starred documents below. Additional items may be requested by specific school districts.
- *Philosophy of education - Limit to one page
- *Three letters of recommendation
- REQUEST FOR CHILD ABUSE OR NEGLECT/CRIMINAL RECORD form - Before entering any information, download the form and save. Check "No Charge" in the upper left corner. Leave all boxes in the upper right corner blank. The return address information at the bottom of the form will be completed by the compliance office. The Missouri Highway Patrol will only accept the original form. Complete, sign and bring the original form to Hill Hall 212.
Out of State Student Teaching
Departmental approval is required. If approved, the student is required to schedule an appointment with Kim Dubree, Co-Dir, Professional Education Services-Certification, email@example.com, or Amanda Byrd, Field Placement and Compliance Specialist, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Placement outside Missouri, but within the United States, must be requested at least ONE YEAR PRIOR to the student teaching semester.
Out of State placement requires the following:
- Completion of the Request and Approval to Student Teach Out of State or Out of Country form. This completed form is submitted to the program coordinator of the student's certification area for written approval by both the program coordinator and department head.
- All documentation listed in the section above for Out of Area (within Missouri) Student Teaching is also required for Out of State Student Teaching, excluding Substitute Certificate.
- Completion of departmental application process for out of area placement (if applicable) and meeting of all departmental criteria
Students approved for Out of State placement will be assessed an additional student teaching fee. This fee covers additional costs incurred when placing and supervising teacher candidates outside the 24-county area.
Out of Country Student Teaching
Placement outside the United States must be requested at least ONE YEAR PRIOR to the student teaching semester.
Missouri State University currently has an agreement to provide placements on military bases through the Department of Defense Education Activity (DoDEA). Students who have a legitimate need for placement in a DoDEA setting should complete the Request and Approval to Student Teach Out of State or Out of Country form and clearly indicate the need to be placed in a DoDEA setting. Upon receiving initial approval for this experience through Missouri State, the students will be asked to complete additional application materials required by the DoDEA. If approved, the placement and supervision will be provided by the DoDEA.
Students who request an out of country placement for non-military reasons or outside the DoDEA program must also complete the Request and Approval to Student Teach Out of State or Out of Country.
Out of Country placement requires the same documentation required by Out of State placement (see above for application process).