Missouri State University and school district/agency policies require some students to obtain Professional Liability insurance. The insurance is required for all students enrolled in a course in which the student will interact with children or other individuals in some capacity. The Professional Liability insurance must be obtained to meet requirements of the course assignment(s). Students required to meet this policy will be notified by the Professional Education Services office. Verification of current professional liability insurance should be submitted to the Professional Education Services office.
Students may obtain insurance by joining either Missouri State Teachers Association (MSTA) or National Education Association (NEA), both of which provide professional liability insurance as a component of membership. See notes below regarding Counseling student and Child Life student professional liability insurance instructions.
- Missouri State Teachers Association (MSTA): Insurance is obtained by joining or renewing an existing membership.
- To join, log in to MSTA through www.msta.org/join/ or access MSTA through JOIN STUDENT MSTA. Scroll to the bottom of the page and choose "Student" or select "Join Student MSTA" at the top of the page.
- Students may also enroll or renew by calling 1-800-392-0532 or by emailing email@example.com.
- If a user ID and password exists, log in to MSTA through https://my.msta.org/NC__Login.
- When the transaction is complete, a "Verification of Membership" letter, "Do Not Reply" email containing a black/white "Order Summary", or a membership card (electronic or paper) will be received. A valid verification of compliance must contain the student's full name and dates of coverage. Email the verification document to ComplianceDocs@missouristate.edu. If assistance is needed, contact Member Care Center by calling 800-392-0532 or via email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- National Education Association (NEA): Insurance is obtained by joining or renewing an existing membership.
- To join or renew, log in to NEA through http://www.nea.org/ .
- Select Join NEA from the choices at the top of the screen.
- Select the Student Membership option.
- When the transaction is complete, a "verification/welcome letter" email will be received which will serve as verification of compliance. A valid verification of compliance must contain the student's full name and dates of coverage. Email the verification document to ComplianceDocs@missouristate.edu.
Notes for Counseling & Child Life Students
- Counseling students: Required to obtain insurance through American Counseling Association (ACA) or American School Counselor Association (ASCA).
- Child Life-specific professional liability insurance: Child Life students are required to obtain Child Life-specific professional liability insurance prior to enrolling in the following courses: CFD 354 Working with the Hospitalized Child, CFD 454 Therapeutic Play, CFD 499 Child Life Practicum, and CFD 466 Internship in Programs for Children, Youth, Adults, and Families. Coverage must include $1,000,000 per occurrence and $3,000,000 in aggregate.
Please use the instructions below to obtain Child Life specific professional liability insurance:
- Students can apply online at Healthcare Providers Service Organization (HPSO) and choose “child life specialist” for the profession or area of study. Note: A social security number is required for HPSO.
- Students can contact Mercer Inc. (formerly Marsh) at 1-800-503-9230. When setting up a policy, students may be required to enroll as either a rehabilitation therapist or child development/family services counselor. Once enrolled students can work with the insurers to have their policies amended to read "child life specialist." Note: A social security number is not required for Mercer Inc.
Procedure for Submitting Verification of Compliance
Submit the email receipt/welcome letter electronically to ComplianceDocs@missouristate.edu, via fax to 417-836-6546, or to the Professional Education Services office (Hill Hall 212).
Expiration dates of compliance documents can be viewed in My Missouri State -> Registration -> My Student Records -> Test Scores.
Professional Education Services - Hill Hall 212
Compliance Documents - Hill Hall 212
Office Hours: 8:00 am – 5:00 pm Monday through Friday
Office: 417-836-8772 Fax: 417-836-6546