MOVECHS FBI Fingerprinting National Background Check
Missouri State University and school district/agency policies require some students to obtain a national fingerprinting background check through the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). The FBI fingerprinting national background check is required for all students enrolled in a course in which the student will interact with children or other individuals in some capacity. The FBI fingerprinting national background check must be obtained to meet requirements of the course assignment(s). Students required to meet this policy will be notified by the Professional Education Services office.
All Missouri State University teacher education students are required to obtain two (2) FBI national fingerprinting background checks during the program.
- The first background check is the MSU MOVECHS FBI fingerprinting background check and is required for admittance to a teacher education program or at the time of the first practicum of the program. The MOVECHS FBI fingerprinting background check is valid for 3 years, and if still enrolled in courses at the end of three years, will be revalidated for an additional three years at no cost to the student. If not enrolled in courses at the time to revalidate, then the Missouri Highway Patrol requires that the student be automatically opted out. The student will be required to obtain another fingerprinting at student cost upon returning to the university to complete an education program.
- The second background check is the DESE FBI fingerprinting background check and is required for certification – either a Substitute Certificate or Initial Professional Certificate at completion of the program.
All non-certification seeking students within the Missouri State University College of Education are required to obtain the MOVECHS FBI national fingerprinting background check.
MOVECHS FBI Fingerprinting National Background Check Information
Practicum, Admission to Teacher Education, Admission to Counseling, and Counseling Mental Health Internship
- This background check requires the student to complete the MOVECHS Waiver Agreement form prior to beginning the registration process for MOVECHS FBI fingerprinting. Use Google Chrome to complete the waiver agreement.
- The waiver agreement form can be accessed through My Missouri State -> Student -> My Teacher Education -> Online Agreements -> MOVECHS Waiver Agreement for FBI fingerprinting.
- After completion of the waiver agreement, MOVECHS FBI fingerprinting instructions will display in a new window. Print or save these instructions for referencing during the fingerprinting registration process.
- Registration is required on the Missouri Automated Criminal History System (MACHS) using the 4-digit Missouri State University MOVECHS fingerprinting registration code that will be given within the instructions.
- During registration, enter the 4-digit MOVECHS fingerprinting code in the designated field. The screen will automatically display MSU College of Education.
- Follow the screen instructions through completion. If residence is within Missouri, choose the Register for Digital Fingerprinting Services option. If residence is outside Missouri, choose the Fingerprinting Card option. Fingerprinting_Card_template.pdf Print fingerprinting card on cardstock. Fingerprinting_Cardscan_Instructions_for_IdentoGo.pdf
- The cost of a MOVECHS FBI fingerprinting is $41.75.
- The fingerprinting result is usually received in approximately one week by the MSU College of Education and entered in MSU Test Scores.
NOTE: A MOVECHS FBI fingerprinting background check cannot be used when applying for a Substitute Certificate or Initial Teaching Certificate. If you are obtaining a fingerprinting for a Substitute Certificate or Initial Teaching Certificate, a DESE FBI fingerprinting background check registration code must be used.
If you have questions, email ComplianceDocs@MissouriState.edu or call Professional Education Services - 417-836-8772.