Federal and State W-4s

All new employees are required to complete a paper form for federal and state withholding.   Failure to provide Payroll with a valid withholding allowance certificate will result in the withholding tax to be withheld at the highest rate of “Single” marital status and “zero” allowances until a form W-4 is completed.

If your marital status or withholding allowances have changed, or will change for the next tax year, the IRS recommends that you submit a new Form W-4.  You can submit a new Form W-4 to Payroll anytime during the year.  Changes to federal withholding can be completed electronically through My Missouri State or complete a paper form and submit to Payroll.  Changes to state withholding must be completed on a paper form and submitted to Payroll.

 A withholding allowance certificate is required to be completed for the state in which you perform the services for Missouri State University.  Some states use the Federal Form W-4 as they do not have their own W-4 form.  If you are performing services outside the state of Missouri please contact the Payroll Department for the correct state withholding allowance certificate. 

If you claim exemption from withholding when you file your W-4, you must file a new form W-4 by February 15 of the following year to continue the exemption from tax.  To determine if you’re eligible to claim exempt on your W-4, see the Exemption from Withholding section of IRS Publication 505 or consult your tax consultant.

International employees are subject to special rules and must meet with the International Tax Accountant in Payroll to complete direct deposit, I-9, E-Verify, and all tax forms.