Frequently Asked Questions

1. What does the term "bursar" mean?

The term "bursar" is a Latin term meaning the "official in charge of the funds" or the "keeper of the purse."

2. What is done in the Bursar's office?

The Bursar's office is responsible for receiving and posting payments as well as cashing personal checks.

3. If I make a payment on the web, when will it show up on my account?

Payments made over the web will be posted to your account promptly.

4. How can I find out if a payment I have made has been credited to my account?

Payments will show immediately on My Missouri State. Login, choose the Profile tab and click the Access Account and Make Payments link under the Account Balance and Payment section. The payment, if approved, will be in Your Recent Payment box with the most current payment on top.

5. When will I accrue interest on my account?

A finance charge of 1% of the unpaid balance will be applied to the account on the last working day of each month when the statements are created. To avoid interest, the charges on the statement must be paid in full before the last working day of the month.

Required Student Fees (tuition) and Housing Charges will start accruing interest at the end of August for the Fall semester, the end of January for the Spring semester and the end of June for the Summer semester if the balance is not paid in full by the last working day of these months. The account will receive the finance charge even if you are waiting for financial aid.

All other Miscellaneous Charges (Bookstore, Parking, Library Fines, Health Center, etc.) will receive interest on the next statement date after the charge is first billed.

6. How can I make a deposit to my BearPass Card?

You may deposit money to your BearPass Card in a number of different ways:

  • Payment at one of the payment windows located in Carrington Hall
  • Payment through the mail, be sure to write "BearPass deposit" on the check
  • Payment online via BearPass Card Deposits

7. Can I get an extension on the payment deadline date?

There are no extensions to the My Payment Plan deadlines. Fall semester is due in FULL by October 25, Spring semester is due in FULL by March 25 and Summer semester is due in FULL by July 15. If fees are not paid in full by these dates, the student will be removed from the My Payment Plan and any upcoming semester classes already registered for will be dropped. Additionally, if the amount owed is over $200.00, a hold will be placed on the student’s account preventing them from registering for any classes for upcoming semester until the account is paid.

8. How do I find out if I am encumbered and what do I do first if I am?

Most encumbrances are paid at the Bursar's Office; however, the first thing you should do if you think you are encumbered is to check the HOLDS link through My Missouri State under the Profile tab. Next, call the department that has you encumbered and find out what they want you to do. The department may ask you to pay the Bursar and then bring back a receipt so they can remove the encumbrance. Any other questions regarding encumbrances can be directed to Records at 417-836-5519.

9. How much is a Credit Hour and the Student services fee?

See the registrar website for details regarding costs.

10. How do I cash a personal check?

You may cash a personal check for up to $50.00 per day at the Bursar's office. Checks should be made payable to Cash and you must bring your BearPass Card. A student may cash a two-party check if it is made payable to the student from his/her parents. Any check made payable to Missouri State University will be deposited into the student's account and the student will not be able to receive cash back.

11. How can I avoid problems?

Respond to all communications you receive from the Office of the Bursar by the stated deadline.

Do not wait until the last minute to complete your business. The Office of the Bursar serves 100 percent of the students, staff and faculty on the Missouri State University campuses. If you wait until the deadline date to ask questions or make your payment, there may be long lines waiting to see the cashiers and the telephone lines will be busy. You run the risk of not getting your problem resolved by the deadline.

12. How can I purchase a Money Order?

Money Orders are not available at the Bursar's Office. However, money orders may be purchased with cash at the Post Office located in the Student Union. For your convenience you may cash a check at the Bursar's office, following check cashing guidelines, in order to purchase a money order at the Post Office.