Prepare an application packet
If you are advised that you are eligible for a committee interview, prepare an application packet consisting of the following items:
- Completed Request for Premedical Committee Interview (attached). Be sure to attach a current photograph of yourself.
- Completed and signed Student Personal History/Profile (attached). Create a neat, accurate and typed form. Your personal statement presents an opportunity to distinguish yourself from other applicants and should be taken seriously.
- Completed and signed Waiver form for the committee evaluation (attached).
- Two completed and signed Requests for Evaluation/Recommendation (attached). Leave the “name of evaluator” blank on these forms.
- At least one completed and signed Doctor Shadowing Verification Form (attached).
- Copies of all MCAT scores.
- Unofficial copies of all college academic transcripts.
Make an appointment
Make an appointment to meet with Dr. Siebert. Prior to this meeting send an electronic copy of your application, your transcript, your shadowing verification forms and your MCAT scores. At the meeting Dr. Siebert will help select your two MSU faculty evaluators for one-on-one interviews. Typically, one evaluator will be somebody you know who is a pre-medical advisor and the other evaluator will be a faculty member who is familiar with premedical studies and who may or may not know you. Members of the Premedical Committee can, and frequently do, serve as evaluators. You will keep the two Request for Evaluation/Recommendation forms to give to your evaluators.
Dr. Siebert will confirm with you the selected evaluators and then you should contact each person and make a 45-minute appointment for a one-on-one interview. Once the individual interviews have been confirmed contact Dr. Siebert and he will make sure each interviewer has copies of the following items from your premedical committee application packet:
- Student Personal History/Profile
- Doctor Shadowing Verification Form(s)
- MCAT scores
- Academic transcripts (unofficial)
At the time of the interview you must provide your evaluator with the completed and signed Request for evaluation/Recommendation. The waiver on this form must be completed and signed by you before the interview commences.
Committee interview scheduled
As soon as your application is complete (all materials listed under item #2 plus the two personal evaluations), a committee interview will be scheduled. Committee interviews are conducted by a subset of the Premedical Committee (usually 4 members) and typically last 45 minutes. After the interview is over, the Committee members who were present at the interview will discuss your credentials and will select a level of recommendation from the following list:
- Recommended enthusiastically
- Recommended highly
- Recommended with reservations
- Not recommended
If upon learning of the outcome you wish to proceed with your application, two members of the Premedical committee will draft a detailed letter of recommendation that high-lights your strengths within the context of our overall level of recommendation.