Building on the principal findings of the Higher Education Data Sharing (HEDS) Diversity
and Equity Campus Climate Survey, Missouri State will work to raise the participation
in – and positive responses to – annual polls, especially in the undergraduate student
population where only 9% participated in the first year.
The 2,723 who responded to the survey make up:
- 9% of the undergraduate student population.
- 18% of the graduate student population.
- 40% of the faculty population.
- 37% of staff/administrators population.
Source: 2019 Climate Survey - Springfield campus
Missouri State values
Missouri State values inclusiveness, fairness, equity and social justice; the recognition
that each person possesses not just one, but multiple identities; and the celebration
of the similarities, as well as the differences, of our diverse campus.
Source: Missouri State University Mission, Vision and Values
Weaving IE through the fabric of campus
Members of the campus community will feel a sense of belonging, support and value
at Missouri State. Faculty, staff and students will strengthen their awareness of
cultural consciousness and civility through day-to-day interactions and intentional
measures that cultivate:
- A deepened understanding of self-awareness.
- An appreciation of how other people make meaning of the world.
- Mindfulness and the ability to be present in opportunities to learn and understand.
- The capacity to embrace and celebrate differences.
Students will gain knowledge and a broadened sense of responsibility from a foundation
of core values infused into general education courses. Graduates will be engaged citizens
in their community and beyond. And employers will benefit from an adept workforce
that recognizes the value of the inclusion of diversity and their obligation to be
ethical leaders and culturally conscious members of society.