TITLE Executive Vice President
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 0035
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR President
The Executive Vice President is the second ranking officer of the University, acting for the President in their absence. The Executive Vice President works in collaboration with the Provost. Together they provide primary administrative leadership, direction, and evaluation for all academic activities of the University. The Executive Vice President works closely with the President in providing executive direction and leadership for the institution.
The Executive Vice President also serves as the President’s leading senior executive for day-to-day internal and external campus operations and conducts the duties of the President of the University when the President is unable or unavailable.
The Executive Vice President oversees centers, offices, and operations as assigned by the President, including:
- Academic Support and Student Success
- Access and Outreach
- Enrollment Management and Services
- Financial Aid
- Institutional Research
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: An earned terminal degree is required.
Experience: Experience leading and managing a large, complex organization in a challenging financial environment is required. This experience may come through successful leadership experience in higher education administration. Alternatively, this experience may come through a record of excellence in teaching, research, and service activities at a university coupled with a history of progressively responsible, successful experience as an academic administrator at the Dean level or above.
Skill: A commitment to academic quality and shared governance is required. A commitment to credibly lead a strong academic community while providing students an outstanding education at a fair cost is required. An understanding of higher education finance and demographic trends affecting higher education is required. The ability to identify institutional strengths, weaknesses, challenges, and opportunities and to develop a vision to lead the University forward is required. Strong oral and written communication skills and excellent interpersonal skills are required. Experience developing relationships in a variety of key areas, thereby enhancing the organization’s presence and reputation is required. An understanding of contemporary issues in higher education is required. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES1. In partnership with the Provost, leads the University forward by fostering intellectual growth, student learning, and scholarly and creative activities through strategic planning, administrative leadership, direction, and evaluation for all academic, student support, and enrollment management activities at the University.
2. Facilitates the university’s public affairs mission by practicing and encouraging ethical leadership, cultural competence, and community engagement.
3. Demonstrates sound fiscal management and empirical-based decision making by overseeing program development, budgets, and facilities of all academic and non-academic units in the Executive Vice President’s portfolio.
4. Provides leadership in internationalizing the campus, advancing multidisciplinary scholarship, and implementing diversity initiatives for faculty, staff, and students.
5. Promotes and maintains effective communication with internal and external constituencies, encouraging partnerships with external stakeholders, and advancing the university (including alumni engagement, fundraising, and advocacy on behalf of the institution).
6. Implements a strategic vision by collaborating with other university leaders to implement and evaluate major academic, student support, recruitment, retention, enrollment management, and research initiatives of the University, address the educational support needs and extra-curricular priorities for students, and coordinate and oversee the overall mission of the University.
7. Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
8. Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses as required.
9. Contributes to the overall success of the University by performing all other duties as needed.
The Executive Vice President is supervised by the President and supervises academic and non-academic administrators and academic and non-academic professional and support staff.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCESREVISED AUGUST 2022